• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation What to do with an abundance of picked ripe Ghost peppers

It's been a great year and I have about 5 lbs, maybe 100-120 good size pods, nice and red/orange ghosts. I already have about 20L of various peppers fermenting for hot sauce. I want to preserve these for future use but am not sure what the best method is, drying, fermenting, vacuum pack freezing etc..

Looking for ideas. They were picked on the weekend and are in the fridge in a cardboard box, I find plastic bags promote early deterioration.

Thanks!

PS I also have about 10 lbs of Habaneros I need to do something with, same deal, just picked and in the fridge.

Last edited:
Congrats on a great season.

Freeze if you have room or make puree.

Have fun!
SL

Personally, I have done all of the above - ferment, dehydrate/powder and vacuum pack freezing. Of all these methods, the ferment is the favourite as it keeps the peppers in the most flexible state but also safe for long term storage without relying on power. I have ferment jars that are 2-3 years old waiting for use. Once the ferment has happened, I remove the airlocks and put regular lids on and leave them on the shelf. It's easy to see what you have waiting for you.

For me, stuff in the freezer just gets forgotten about as it's not readily visible. Powder does have some utility in rubs and direct application to food but one year of powder making has likely set me up with a lifetime supply. I don't find powder very useful for sauce making so its utility is limited.

Awesome, thank you so much for the replies, that gives me lots of choices.

Agreed, powder, once ground, will last a LONG time, but will go stale after a while, and yes freezer is a great place to put things to forget about.

One question about fermenting, once done and capped with a regular lid, can you open them and use some then replace the lid or do you have to use the entire jar once opened. I would think at least into the fridge. I just don't know if I would use a whole jar at once unless making a hot sauce.

Thanks!

Essentially you want to keep your open container as small as possible and in the fridge once opened.

Check your ferment pH - I would expect a pH in the 3s after a couple months ferment which is shelf stable but I would not want to keep opening and closing regularly without some additional protection. You have a few options - the most secure of which would be to transfer your bulk ferment into smaller jars, can in boiling water (you don't need to pressure can with low pH) and then keep any jar you open in the fridge.

Alternatively make a large batch of sauce and hot bottle in small volumes like 5oz. Then you only have 5oz open at a time and the rest can be kept on the shelf.

Combo of any of the above will serve you well. Enough powder to use and not go stale*, freeze what will fit in your freezer, ferment some, etc.

*I have powders many years old and they're fine!

Essentially you want to keep your open container as small as possible and in the fridge once opened.

Check your ferment pH - I would expect a pH in the 3s after a couple months ferment which is shelf stable but I would not want to keep opening and closing regularly without some additional protection. You have a few options - the most secure of which would be to transfer your bulk ferment into smaller jars, can in boiling water (you don't need to pressure can with low pH) and then keep any jar you open in the fridge.

Alternatively make a large batch of sauce and hot bottle in small volumes like 5oz. Then you only have 5oz open at a time and the rest can be kept on the shelf.
I agree about the small bottles of sauce. I don't ferment my chillies, just Chop and fry them in a dry pan and then add my other jngredients one by one. I've got sauces which are 5 years old and they are.still great. Although, they do get.hotter over time.

One of my favorite things to make that is very popular with people I gift my creations to is hot salt. Puree up whatever chilies you have, add any desired herbs, or whatever else for flavoring, and add the puree to a quart (or bigger) mason jar. Fill with coarse sea salt and give it a good shaking. Over 2-3 weeks I shake it up a couple of times a day and then put it in the dehydrator and dry it out. I collect the salt and pepper grinders I've bought throughout the year and fill then with the hot salt and keep for myself and give away. Super easy to do and as I mentioned, most people I've given it to always ask me if I have more. Good luck!

I came up with a quick to use up 4 of them...

Happy Halloween.

cheers

IMG_5798.JPG

Back