• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What to do with peppers?

There is only my wife and I in the house and she has no tolerance for heat at all so I am wondering what to do with all these peppers?
I am going to dry the Thai Dragon peppers and make flakes out of them but what to do with all the Pumpkin Habaneros, Fatali's, Red Carribean Habanero's, etc?

Curious as to what those of you who do not make sauces do with them all?

Thanks

Hey CG,
You can dry the others as well but I would suggest a dehydrator . Grind em' up in a coffee grinder or food processor and make some powders. You can use them in meals or as a condiment. I like to carry a shaker with me.
If you freeze them you can always add to meals but you won't get the fresh crunch out of them. But if they're going in stew or Chili it's all good!
You can also freeze them to make sauce with if you don't wanna make all of them at the same time.
Pickle and can em'....

Well you can ubild ur tolerance by eating one hab daily (even chewing for 30 seconds and spitting it out) for 4-7 days. then you can ptu hab powder in regular hot sauce liek franks and make ithotter and use that... i did it this spring

I am not growing any super hots this year but I have harvested a ton of Hot Banana peppers, serranos and my yellow cayennes. I have been putting my pepper overages in the freezer to use at a later date. Yes I have pulled some out and used them and yes they don't have that crunch but they sure pack the heat. It will be nice during the offseason to pull some out and make some chilli or soups

I toss the real hot ones cut up into recipes. I make powders - lots. I eat probably 15+ lbs of hot banana peppers annually. lol. I get them from a local farm here. I grow exotic stuff, but still enjoy the basics for cooking.

Chris

[sub]I'm drying all my cayennes, and everything else (waxes, fajita bells, Kung Paos and eventually Mammoth Jals) go right to the freezer until the end of the season, then into fermentation jars. Maybe a few poppers depending on my MJ yield.[/sub]

What I don't use myself, I give to friends who want to try them, sell some at a local farmer's market and auction. Try selling on Criag's List or trading...

You could always pickle them. I pickle my excess japs every year and will be doing that to some habaneros soon.

Back