• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

shopping What to get at Wallmart as a European

My colleague is leaving for the US for a short trip. She asked if she could get me anything from Walmart or Target.

I'm asking her to bring back some things that are hard to get over here. Like crorn husks, corn masa flour and hominy.

Is there anything else I should really try? Condiment wise or spice wise perhaps?

Edit to add: why is huitlacoche so expensive?

Last edited:
My colleague is leaving for the US for a short trip. She asked if she could get me anything from Walmart or Target.

I'm asking her to bring back some things that are hard to get over here. Like crorn husks, corn masa flour and hominy.

Is there anything else I should really try? Condiment wise or spice wise perhaps?

Edit to add: why is huitlacoche so expensive?

We bought huitlacoche back in BE... It's expensive because it cannot or is difficult to cultivate in the lab. I don't know how the situation is today, but years ago it was necessary to inoculate crops with this fungus. As such, it is a rainy season crop with limited availability.

I sometimes have it in the allotment. Not nearly enough to my liking.

You can inoculate corn in the open with the spores, but it spreads over a big distance and can return year after year because it can survive in soil for quite some time. It's considered a harmful crop disease over here, called builenbrand.

Unfortunately, I can't get the canned version in our supermarkets. And I would have never guessed it to be so expensive if available! (It's just corn smut after all. 😀)

239837D4-BFB3-4030-AB59-5A37F72DFA96.jpeg

Back