• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests What type of bug damage is this? Spider mite?

As I was taking photos for the seedling post, I noticed these little webs. Plants came in about a week ago for over winter, and I do not remember seeing this before they came in. Is the webbing indicative of mite damage?

What to do about if it is bad? Thanks for advice.

mitedamagex800.jpg

As I was taking photos for the seedling post, I noticed these little webs. Plants came in about a week ago for over winter, and I do not remember seeing this before they came in. Is the webbing indicative of mite damage?

What to do about if it is bad? Thanks for advice.

mitedamagex800.jpg

Prob spider mites. I've been told this stuff works like a dream on nasty pests! http://www.google.co...ved=0CE4Q8wIwAw#

Prob spider mites. I've been told this stuff works like a dream on nasty pests! http://www.google.co...ved=0CE4Q8wIwAw#

look under the leaves with a magnafying glass.

looks like mites to me too.

see spider mite thread for recommendations...

personally i'd consider trashing the plant if it is not where you can use a no pest strip.

It very well could be but not necessarily spider mite. I get normal little spiders building webs on my plants all the time, especially plants I bring inside. Sometimes the spiders are so small and/or hide so well it can take days before I even spot 'em (in the meantime freaking out thinking I have spider mites :lol:).

Of course, even if it is just a normal spider, they will still be there for a reason... i.e. lunch (possibly aphids, whitefly, etc, etc... or usually in my case, broad mite).

It very well could be but not necessarily spider mite. I get normal little spiders building webs on my plants all the time, especially plants I bring inside. Sometimes the spiders are so small and/or hide so well it can take days before I even spot 'em (in the meantime freaking out thinking I have spider mites :lol:).

Of course, even if it is just a normal spider, they will still be there for a reason... i.e. lunch (possibly aphids, whitefly, etc, etc... or usually in my case, broad mite).

Exactly what i was thinking, when i move my plants around i quite often find little garden spiders hiding around the place. Hopefully for your sake its not spider mites...

i too have had little spiders make my plants their homes, BUT, they have never caused the leaves to drop! so if you are noticing that the webs are in locations that are dropping leaves my guess would weigh toward spider mites! can you take a picture of the entire plant as to see how bad leaf loss is?

Looks like just a simple spider web. I wouldn't be too worried unless it gets terribly bad. I would love to keep some spiders on my plants if I can ever get over my phobia of them!

I had the same concern when I saw some webbing on one of my Douglahs. I did not have as much of the spider web as shown in your photo, but this is what I found.

Screenshot2011-06-28at14712PM.png

And this is what he/she became.

Screenshot2011-06-28at21518PM.png

Gas. It's a tool on Apple Aperture 3. Also, Smiter, I don't want to suggest that you don't have spider mites. When I thought i did, I got out a real magnifying glass and looked until I found this guy. Try it and you should find the friend or foe. :halo:

Back