• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding What variety do you think would cross well with a Bishop's crown?

I've always found the Bishop's crown (PI 497974) to be such a unique cool looking pod type and I often consider trying to cross it with something just a little hotter and maybe a different color like brown, yellow or purple. I'm starting to lean towards either a purple ornamental type like royal black or maybe a Scotch bonnet TFM. I'm not really looking to create a super hot pepper, just something a bit different although maybe a Bishop's Bhut would be a hot seller:) or a Douglah * Bishop's crown
If you were to work on a Bishop's crown cross, what would you consider crossing it with?

I think a Bishops Brown would be cool. But make sure you use something longer so that you will be able to see any possible crosses early.

I was going to say Bhut, maybe the Chocolate. Douglah sounds good too. I'm loving the Bhut now, so I say cross it w/ everything. Maybe we'll find a cross that has a similar heat/flavor but doesn't take so long to ripen.

Its such a unique pepper (and a Baccatum)that any cross would likely be noticable right away. Ideally I don't really want anything long, but would love to keep the Bishop pod's ability to "stand up" which makes it one of the best stuffers IMO

MY Bishops crown is doing the best out of all my runts right now! Kepping the stand up and stuffing traits is a must maybe a cross with a yellow 7pod. A yellow bishops crown with some nice heat? Or maybe a white bishops crown? seems like you just want to change color and heat?

Like I already said, ideally I'd like something a little hotter than a regular B.C. but not super-hot and hopefully with a different color. It would be nice to create another unique pod shape but only as long as they can stand up on their own for stuffing purposes. It seems like quite a bit to ask for in a cross but likely possible
This forum is becoming so predictable;) I just knewfrom the start of this thread that most comments would be about using a 7pot, bhut, scorpion, or other super-hot which isn't what I really want but I guess I did ask

POTAWIE said:
Like I already said, ideally I'd like something a little hotter than a regular B.C. but not super-hot and hopefully with a different color. It would be nice to create another unique pod shape but only as long as they can stand up on their own for stuffing purposes. It seems like quite a bit to ask for in a cross but likely possible
This forum is becoming so predictable;) I just knewfrom the start of this thread that most comments would be about using a 7pot, bhut, scorpion, or other super-hot which isn't what I really want but I guess I did ask

Hmmm. How about a Lemon Drop?

I know it's long, but it's also a Baccatum and perhaps you could promote the color and the citrus flavor and minimize the length in successive generations. Then you would have a Crown Lemon or some such thing.

Just a thought.

I would stick with what you originally said, being the Scotch Bonnet. They are a good all around pepper that carry a nice heat that can be used for many things.

How about the Clavo, nice coloring and shape with not too much heat, I don't know about the flavour yet as I have it growing this season!!!!!

How 'bout a starfish. I has a nice taste (some people swear it tastes a little bit like an apple), not too much heat on the outside, but a nice little punch of hotness in the middle of the pod, closer to the seeds. Plus it looks cool, plants grow huge and it's a killer producer. Win win win win situation IMO.

a yellow bishops crown would be super cool. would yellow rocoto be too hot? that or the purple, or dark dark purple almost looking black. For some reason brown peppers don't look that appealing to me. Ferrari colors all the way!

Ballzworth said:
a yellow bishops crown would be super cool. would yellow rocoto be too hot? that or the purple, or dark dark purple almost looking black. For some reason brown peppers don't look that appealing to me. Ferrari colors all the way!

Pubescens x Baccatum will not work :(

yellow bishop.

anyways a yellow 7pod i ssupposibly lacking heat from all other 7pods from what i have read. Color and shape amy go well. I have thousand of other combos but a yellow spicy BC woudl be sweet.

Why ask this question if you already going to do what you want any way?

Black hungarian and bishops crown?
Orange crown
white crown did i already say this?...

orangehero said:
C. baccatum do not cross well with other species.

Very true! So here is a little help if you want to make an "interspecific hybrid" with baccatum... http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jsbbs/56/1/31/_pdf

I would concentrate on finding a nice baccatum variety to cross with instead - my suggestion is Aji Omnicolor (hotter and you might be able to come up with purple pods, since this one develops anthocyanin on pods to some extent)

Noshownate said:
Why ask this question if you already going to do what you want any way?
:rolleyes:I have a few of my own ideas as I've stated above but I often find this forum is a good place for discussing hot pepper topics;)

Back