• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting What vegetables go well in ferments?

I need some ideas for vegetables/ingredients to try in my hot sauce ferments. Each month I'm bottling a new ferment and trying to do something different for each. I've exhausted the different pepper varieties available in my grocery store produce sections, and now I want to try different additional ingredients.

I've been keeping it pretty basic with:
Garlic
Shallots
Onions
Carrots
Parsnips

I'm wondering what vegetables or ingredients can I add (at the fermenting stage) that will effect flavor in a big way? What are some of your favorites?

Hawaiianero said:

+1 fruit

Strawberries
Mango
Kiwi

Kinda depends on what your target flavor is.

Each one will have a different target flavor, that's the reason I'm asking about this. Fruit is a great idea, I haven't considered trying that yet. Does it come out tasting like the fruit? Is it sweet?

Friday said:

Each one will have a different target flavor, that's the reason I'm asking about this. Fruit is a great idea, I haven't considered trying that yet. Does it come out tasting like the fruit? Is it sweet?

I prefer my sauces on the savory side but to ensure a good ferment you need a fair amount of sugar so that's more what I use the fruit for than the actual flavor. Don't get me wrong, the flavors need to blend rather than clash so flavor profile is important but I like to keep my victims friends guessing so even though I can taste what is in there it's not always recognizable to others.

Also, if you want a strong fruit taste it's better to add it after the fermenting stage is done. Don't take my word for gospel truth because there are a lot of people here who do things differently and come out with amazing results.

Best of luck on yours :party:

Mr.CtChilihead said:
I did't see ginger listed.. I love fresh ginger..

A friend of mine makes a fantastic quick sauce with beets.l bet you a bottle of sauce they'll work great in a ferment.spamus the color is fantastic..

Ginger sounds like a good flavor to include. Beets would be interesting lol. 

Your actually the first person not to suggest fruit. 

I love/use carrot, onion, garlic, ginger, jicama, parsnip, cauliflower in pepper ferments with good success.  

Fruit wise I love apple, pear, berries of all sorts and stone fruits such as peaches/plums, etc.  Have not had great success with citrus in ferments but regularly add them after fermentation during processing with good results.

Mr.CtChilihead said:
I didn't see ginger listed.. I love fresh ginger..
Good call, Walt. I forgot all about ginger. I use fresh ginger root in almost all of my sauces

SmokenFire said:
I love/use cauliflower in pepper ferments with good success.
How's that work out, Dru? (I'm assuming well, if you keep doing it :rofl: ) What type of flavor does that impart, if any? Raw cauliflower doesn't taste like much to me. Is it more to add "bulk" than anything else? Inquiring minds must know ;)

MikeUSMC said:
How's that work out, Dru? (I'm assuming well, if you keep doing it :rofl: ) What type of flavor does that impart, if any? Raw cauliflower doesn't taste like much to me. Is it more to add "bulk" than anything else? Inquiring minds must know ;)

I started doing it for a semi-pickleze semi-relish tray thing we do at home; basically jalas, carrots, onion, garlic, celery and cauliflower.  I'll make a 1/2 gallon jar of that every month or so and we eat it with sandwiches or sliced meats and cheeses.  

Liked it so much that I started using it in other ferments.  Mostly for body, but also because it tends to take on the characteristics of whatever it's fermented with.     

Back