• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

And how did it turn out?

I was in the mood for wings, but wasn't going to do anything fancy, just wanted something quick using what was in the house. Baked the wings in the oven with a dry rub of cayenne, Death Rain, pepper, and bih jolokia powder (from Muso2112). Took them out and coated with Cap'n's savina sauce. Pretty good for a quick meal.

paulky_2000 said:
Sounds like Bill's B-hole and Bill's A-hole are in complete agreement.
Didn't stop me from experimenting again tonight though :) My wife said she wouldn't be home until 7:30, so I stopped at the local Chinese takout and bought some boneless pork ribs. Whipped up a batch of 'ad hoc' hot sauce including more bhut powder (I only have bhut left from last year - but it's growing on me - and out of me :) ) Opened a bottle of Smithwicks Irish Ale - now enjoying a great meat - lips are burning, tastes good. I have a 75 minute commute early in the morning, so let's hope the results are better with this than the one last night.

Pepperfreak said:
Here is what I'm having for lunch....

Shrimp and Rice noodles tossed with Spicy Thai Peanut Sauce.

The heat level isn't enough to melt your face off, but it is enough to wet your brow with sweat. :lol:
DSCF3790.jpg

This dish sir is hot, blue, and righteous enough to post pics of twice! That looks exactly how I make and serve up! Now jump back and kiss yo' 'sef one time!!

BillC said:
Didn't stop me from experimenting again tonight though :) My wife said she wouldn't be home until 7:30, so I stopped at the local Chinese takout and bought some boneless pork ribs. Whipped up a batch of 'ad hoc' hot sauce including more bhut powder (I only have bhut left from last year - but it's growing on me - and out of me :) ) Opened a bottle of Smithwicks Irish Ale - now enjoying a great meat - lips are burning, tastes good. I have a 75 minute commute early in the morning, so let's hope the results are better with this than the one last night.

Playin' butt-roulette......

I like it!

OK...I am a little late with my shrimp dish...

found this recipe online when I was trying to figure out how to serve the shrimp...it is absolutely delicious...

http://www.massrecipes.com/recipes/04/09/awardwinningmexicanshrimp10727.html

so I went to the store and got the ingredients...what I didn't have...

020210a008.jpg

and then I followed the directions...but added a lot more jalapeno and a dash of Bhut Jolokia puree...

020210a011.jpg

the shrimp could have been bigger but what the heck they are great tasting and the price was right...and let me tell you...this recipe is a keeper...

AlabamaJack said:
OK...I am a little late with my shrimp dish...

found this recipe online when I was trying to figure out how to serve the shrimp...it is absolutely delicious...

http://www.massrecipes.com/recipes/04/09/awardwinningmexicanshrimp10727.html

so I went to the store and got the ingredients...what I didn't have...

020210a008.jpg

and then I followed the directions...but added a lot more jalapeno and a dash of Bhut Jolokia puree...

020210a011.jpg

the shrimp could have been bigger but what the heck they are great tasting and the price was right...and let me tell you...this recipe is a keeper...

AJ.....you are a man among men! That is my kind of hot, blue, and righteous! I have a special love of all 'thangs shrimp! Back in the day of the caveman and the white buffalo, I spent a summer down on south Padre before going to Alaska. Back then Vietnamese immigrants were moving in and lemme' tell ya'...they stirred up a hornets nest. Why? Because they were Asian and we were prejudice? Oh hell no....those cats could catch shrimp like nobody's 'bidness and the old boys that had shrimped for years just couldn't keep up. I ate heaps of shrimp caught by them hep cats and it started a love affair and a craving I have still to this day not been able to satisfy. Those cocktails of sheer shrimp mojofication are a step in the right direction of pure prawn satisfaction. That truly is a 'ting of beauty, thank you very much!

Leslie

thank you gents...

I have to give PF a hot blue and richeous rating also on his shrimp dish...it is beautiful...well done

how do you make your roux Jay?

I start by rendering down some sliced andouille sausage, remove it, add a little butter and then flour and stir until it's like chocolate color. Then I add diced onion celery, bell pepper, and jalapeno. Then diced tomato, garlic, thyme, shrimp stock, creole seasoning, mombasa chile powder (kind of like cayene only hotter) worcestershire sauce, and cajun hot sauce (whichever I choose at the time), and add the andouille back in. After it simmers for a half hour or so, I add the shrimp and some parsley. I serve it over red beans and rice.

paulky_2000 said:
That sounds lovely!! I haven't made that in a looooong time!

Don't worry I'll take pics. That above, is pretty much my recipe it's really simple. Has a lot of stuff in it, but it's easy to make.

JayT said:
I start by rendering down some sliced andouille sausage, remove it, add a little butter and then flour and stir until it's like chocolate color. Then I add diced onion celery, bell pepper, and jalapeno. Then diced tomato, garlic, thyme, shrimp stock, creole seasoning, mombasa chile powder (kind of like cayene only hotter) worcestershire sauce, and cajun hot sauce (whichever I choose at the time), and add the andouille back in. After it simmers for a half hour or so, I add the shrimp and some parsley. I serve it over red beans and rice.

:shocked:

I think I Justin Wilsoned all over myself.

I LOOOOOVVVVVEEEE Cajun/Creole food. Jambalya, Gumbo, E'toufee...Mmmmmmmmmm. Thank you AJ and PF for inspiring me.

JayT said:
I LOOOOOVVVVVEEEE Cajun/Creole food. Jambalya, Gumbo, E'toufee...Mmmmmmmmmm. Thank you AJ and PF for inspiring me.

Oh me too...

My very first cookbook was "The Justin Wilson Cookbook" from 1965. (it's a re-print but still 27 years old)

I still use his recipes.

you are quite welcome but for what I don't know...you are a major chef Jay...

that etoufee does sound delicious...do you make your creole seasoning from scratch or store bought?...and...how do you cook your red beans? Standard fare?...

reading this thread and typing this response made me think of another great tasting dish. A fellow wildlife officer (game warden) that was cuban had a wife that cooked the best black beans and ox tail that was out of this world...was pretty spicy too but I didn't ask what all she put in it back then...yup, black beans and oxtail are next on the agenda for me...

Back