• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

And how did it turn out?

I was in the mood for wings, but wasn't going to do anything fancy, just wanted something quick using what was in the house. Baked the wings in the oven with a dry rub of cayenne, Death Rain, pepper, and bih jolokia powder (from Muso2112). Took them out and coated with Cap'n's savina sauce. Pretty good for a quick meal.

I have some American cheese i REALLY want to eat but not nachos... So i made polenta wirh buckwheat.
Polenta is the ultimate meat friend, especially grilled, and it's great with cheese and mushrooms...

ibn7iy99SSMra1.jpg

Of course the best use would be to cut that thing and cook in ember grill...

I cut some thin pieces and cooked a bit in a pan:
ib1kWt0T96FXxz.jpg

If you cook well, not like here, it forms a crust, if grilled with embers it's one of the best things ever... Remains of polenta in the grill after grilling loads of meat could just be the best thing ever...

Then that quesolike cheese!
iXJeVmMzHIhCo.jpg

Here some thicker pieces with jalapeno rounds (i like a lot that stuff but no one sell them here...) and gorgonzola!
ibkTmAxWztGzHs.jpg

I don't believe I've ever had polenta, or if I have, it's been too long ago for me to remember. My son doesn't like the texture of anything small and gritty - no grits, couscous, etc., so I don't bother making it most of the time, though I will get stuff like that out at a restaurant. The way you fixed it, essegi, looks interesting, but I'm kind of getting a chuckle out of "American cheese". That looks like Cheez Whiz, which no one here in their right mind would describe as "American cheese". It's more like something reminiscient of cheese that's considered a dip, but not really cheese. Got a good texture for when you don't want to hassle making your own cheese dip though, and want something uber-fast - kind of like McDonalds is to hamburgers..... Consider:

Ingredients: Whey, Milk, Canola Oil, Maltodextrin, Milk Protein Concentrate, Sodium Phosphate, Contains Less than 2% of Modified Food Starch, Salt, Lactic Acid, Whey Protein Concentrate, Mustard Flour, Worcestershire Sauce (Vinegar, Molasses, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Caramel Color, Garlic Powder, Sugar, Spices, Tamarind, Natural Flavor), Sodium Alginate, Sorbic Acid as a Preservative, Oleoresin Paprika (Color), Annatto (Color), Cheese Culture, Enzymes, Natural Flavor.

Ok, at least the makings of cheese are actually in there!

On another note, I made applesauce of a sort last night. Looks more like a cross between apple butter and apple sauce - definitely thicker than applesauce, but also brown like apple butter. My daughter brought a gift basket of apples, not knowing we already had more apples than we could reasonably eat in the house already. I kind of played with seasonings - brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, ginger (a lot of ginger), coriander, mace, aji panca powder and cayenne powder. I'm pretty sure I put something else in there, but that's all I remember. At any rate, it's a nice mix of sweet and heat, though not picture-pretty. I think I'm going to make another batch, but this time add some whiskey.

Ehi, i want that apple sauce!

Btw that cheese is that:
http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/tostitos-salsa-con-queso.html
Colour is different (as you see above) but jar and ingredients are the same. A friend of mine had the chance to recover that from the local American military base, maybe you find something similar but not exactly this, or at least i don't see that around... So i call it American because it came from America. Call it cheese, sauce, or cheese sauce, i just wanted that! :D

Btw the made with real cheese label it's funny (if you don't think you have to eat that!).
I remember nacho cheese from Taco Bell, i don't care at all if it is articial and unhealthy, i liked it a lot! This is similar but not good as that...

Afaik polenta played an HUGE role in food were i live in the past and it's a lot used now... Nowadays, and probably after America discovery , maize wheat farina is maybe the most diffused kind...
One can boil water then put and cook that weat and eat it like this, here with porcini:
http://lericettedinadia.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/pict0023.jpg

Or put in in a board then when it is cold cut it and cook in a grill:
http://www.agriturismolaborina.com/eng/wp-content/uploads/IMG_4199.jpg

Both modes are good but i'm a strong fanboy of the second way! No grilled meat without polenta!

Or fry it and it's very good.

Thanks!

SIHELbd.jpg

Today i tried again with thinner slices:

Good but took too much time... And better take thicker pieces and use real grill...

Here's one of many platter type dishes that we're serving for the game today.........one of my favorite finger foods!

Ingredients: Hawaiian Yellowfin Tuna (3lbs)

Tequila-Avocado Crema: Avocado's (2)                
                                        Sour Cream (1/4 c)
                                        Tequila (1 oz)
                                         Heavy Cream (2 tbl)
                                         Lime (1)
                                         Wasabi Powder (2tbl)
Whip the Ingredients for the Crema in a food processor or blender. Funnel or por into a squeexable container.

Mango Pice de Gallo : Mangos (2)
                                    Hawaiian Papaya (1)
                                    Red Onion (1)
                                    Jicama (1)
                                    Garlic (2 cloves)
                                    Ginger (1" peeled) 
                                    Asian Red Peppers (3)
                                    Cilantro (1/2 bunch)
                                    Salt (1tsp)
Finely chop ingredients and place in fridge until needed.

Fryed Wontons:  Egg Roll Wrappers (1 package quartered)
Fry at 325 until color begins to change. Drain on paper towels, sprinkle with Naga Powder (PaulG)...and Salt while hot

Blackened Ahi Tuna:
Coat both sides of Tuna with Blackening Seasoning and Naga Powder.
Sear in a hot dry skillet 2 minutes a side. Remove from pan and stick in the freezer...or as I did bring it outdoors...that's where the coolers are with the beer........hah. The fish can bright back to room temp once its cooled down. Slice into 1/4" slices.

Here's a platter of Wontons with one taste testing sample..........let me show you a closer look!

Closeup of a Wonton skin topped with rare slices of Tuna, with a garnish of Mango Pico, drizzle of Tequila-Avocado Crema, Sweet Thai Sauce and a scatter of Scallions.........now I only have 50 of these to make........sheet what time is it I just heard the doorbell......yikes.

Enjoy the game.............time for some Rum!

Dang, Pic, that's such a colorful, tasty-looking thing you got going there, it's amazing that no one has commented before now. Love me long time some rare tuna!

And now, for a description of something that you will thank me for not posting any pictures of.....

My son likes to experiment with sautéed boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Basic approach is to sautée them a tad in olive oil, then start throwing other stuff in, with the goal of making some kind of sauce on the chicken. Neither he nor I have any problems with, when warranted, just rinsing the sauce off the chicken after a bite or two. When I saw the jars and bottles he set out on the counter tonight, I was sure we'd be repeating the rinse routine. Strangely, though, it didn't happen. Consider - barbecue sauce, soy sauce, sweet chile sauce, Thai red curry paste, and Jalapeno puree. Sound like a winning combination? It gets better - after mixing all that chite together along with some red pepper powder of one sort or another, he added a can of Amy's (brand) black bean soup. That "sauce" looked like.... um.... er.... yeah, like someone had Montezuma's revenge in a bowl and was taking it to the lab for testing. And we were supposed to eat it???? But yes, I let him put it on the chicken thighs and reduce it down to the point it was like the chicken thighs were swimming in so much sludge. And yes, I ate it, and so did he. In fact, we each had two thighs. As strange as it sounds (and as bad as it looked), it was dang tasty. Chalk this one up on the weird-chite-o'-meter.

The Hot Pepper said:
Wait... you made this for the Super Bowl, didn't enter it in the TD, and no one saw it until now????

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heck when I posted this I never looked back...didn't realize that I double posted the pictures.....good reason to do an edit...har

geeme said:
Dang, Pic, that's such a colorful, tasty-looking thing you got going there, it's amazing that no one has commented before now. Love me long time some rare tuna!

And now, for a description of something that you will thank me for not posting any pictures of.....

My son likes to experiment with sautéed boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Basic approach is to sautée them a tad in olive oil, then start throwing other stuff in, with the goal of making some kind of sauce on the chicken. Neither he nor I have any problems with, when warranted, just rinsing the sauce off the chicken after a bite or two. When I saw the jars and bottles he set out on the counter tonight, I was sure we'd be repeating the rinse routine. Strangely, though, it didn't happen. Consider - barbecue sauce, soy sauce, sweet chile sauce, Thai red curry paste, and Jalapeno puree. Sound like a winning combination? It gets better - after mixing all that chite together along with some red pepper powder of one sort or another, he added a can of Amy's (brand) black bean soup. That "sauce" looked like.... um.... er.... yeah, like someone had Montezuma's revenge in a bowl and was taking it to the lab for testing. And we were supposed to eat it???? But yes, I let him put it on the chicken thighs and reduce it down to the point it was like the chicken thighs were swimming in so much sludge. And yes, I ate it, and so did he. In fact, we each had two thighs. As strange as it sounds (and as bad as it looked), it was dang tasty. Chalk this one up on the weird-chite-o'-meter.

Good that your son experiments with the chicken thighs........although they taste great on their own, a sauce or marinade will boost the pleasure.
Heck, I started making a chicken noodle soup with a leftover chicken rooster yesterday besides the usual ingredients, I added two types of squash, chick peas, habanero's.....blah, blah...........and finally by the time I finished it had coconut milk and green thai curry........the bottom line is....ya can't judge a dish by how it looks...(only in TD's)...hah. Look at refried beans for an example......."weird-chite-o'meter".....ahaha...haven't seen that phrase before.

Hamburger steaks and homemade "Ranch Style Beans".  The hamburger steaks were made from part of a chuck roast I bought from my butcher.  Coarse grind and loosely formed with a spatula.  Fry up some bacon, then cook onion and jalapeños in the bacon grease.  Cook the steaks in a separate skillet and top with onions and jalapeños, then a slice of Ameican or cheddar, then throw the lid on the skillet for 30sec-1min to melt the cheese.  The beans are my homemade version of a brand of canned beans called Ranch Style Beans.  I grew up on them and love them to this day, but my version is a bit more tasty  :hot:

That looks crazy good Count.

I also grew up eating Ranch Style Beans and yes, hamburger steak aka Salisbury steak.

Been a long time since I had the steak like that.

Funny 'thang is only in Texas have seen it listed on restaurant menus as Hamburger Steak and usually served up with a heap of grilled onions and mushrooms.

Got a couple cans of the RS beans in my pantry but I keep them for backup.

I usually crockpot a batch of pinto's and jack em up with lots of onion, garlic, and lots of chile powder.

Goodern' hell and a big bowl of em with some avocado, jalapenos, and lime wedges is supper.

Spicy hummus, mesquite smoked chicken boob and bacon shoved in a pita type bread.

Need to make jerk chicken soft tacos one of these days. Homemade jerk chicken made in a crock pot with habs, onions, sweet peppers, pineapple and other fun stuff.

texas blues said:
That looks crazy good Count.

I also grew up eating Ranch Style Beans and yes, hamburger steak aka Salisbury steak.

Been a long time since I had the steak like that.

Funny 'thang is only in Texas have seen it listed on restaurant menus as Hamburger Steak and usually served up with a heap of grilled onions and mushrooms.

Got a couple cans of the RS beans in my pantry but I keep them for backup.

I usually crockpot a batch of pinto's and jack em up with lots of onion, garlic, and lots of chile powder.

Goodern' hell and a big bowl of em with some avocado, jalapenos, and lime wedges is supper.

Growing up my grandmother made us hamburger steaks. We were waaaayyyy to poor to eat actual steaks regularly. But we never ate what people consider Salisbury steak, with brown gravy and onions and mushrooms. We ate them like big hamburger patties with cheese and A1 sauce. I took it a couple steps further and added bacon, onions and jalapeños.

And I guess Ranch Style beans are regional to some extent. I have a friend in NC that never heard of them. I sent him some and boy was he surprised. He was expecting "baked" beans, which taste totally different. The key to a good copycat RS bean is...... Enchilada sauce.
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Diggin all the CI, looks like a wonderful meal!
Thanks. I own a lot of cast iron cookware. The only things not CI I have are an All Clad sauce pot and an All Clad 12in skillet. They rarely get used.

Hey it's the freakin weekend and time to get smoking namely a Pork Loin.

025916B4-4D33-402B-A991-4F6152FBE67F_zps4c79ejuw.jpg

The top one is rubbed with an apple maple bacon rub. The bottom is rubbed first with some of Smokemasters smoked Manzano powder and then with some left over Emrils Essance.

71F95FBD-F4C6-4351-98D5-004FFE03F4E2_zpsajqqi1do.jpg

Thanks smoke! When there's about an hour left to pull them I'm going the hit these bad boys with some

Bourbon Fatalii Applebutter :)

0B23D96B-575D-495F-9359-6F2B56AD5799_zpsavuraxcu.jpg

Have a great weekend y'all and don't forget to Spring Forward tonight ;)

Back