• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

What was your introduction to 'hot stuff'?

My interest in hot food started in trade school. One of my instructors had "Good Fridays". We could swear to our hearts content within reason (as did he) all week except for Friday. If he caught you swearing, you could either take a downgrade in "appearance" or take a drop of hot sauce. I never actually got caught swearing on a Friday, but I volunteered after class to try the sauce. It was Da Bomb Beyond Insanity. I walked out to my car after class with my eyes watering and tongue burning. That shit was HOT! It sparked my interest, and I've been eating hotter and hotter stuff since. If I succeed in growing the bhuts and Trinidad scorps this year, I'll have another humbling experience... :onfire:

i was a naughty little kid,so as punishment my moms and older sis would would cram a bottle of hot sauce into my mouth. lol. so among chipped teeth i also grew a tolerance. my dad would allaways put pickled jalos on pizza so of course wanting to be like him i also did.

About a decade ago, I found a slippery slope as I walked into a hot sauce store with a friend for the heck of it, neither of us were really into hot stuff, but we tried the Widow and fell in love.

I did not slide down a slope, I was pushed off the cliff by my best friend and never looked back. Of course I pulled him off with me. We always share what new hot sauce we find and make fools of ourselves burning our palates.

When I was still in a high-chair living in TX, my parents friends were hispanic and brought over some hot salsa. The way my mother tells the story; they were all at the table eating it and I kept grabbing for some so my dad heaped up a chipful and gave it to me. I cried my little eyes out and yet I kept grabbing for more. Now my mom was more than a little upset at my dad for doing it but it seems that it was just in my genetic code to enjoy the hot pepper burn. To this day my brother and I thoroughly enjoy super hot peppers and the look we get from other people that just shake their heads in amazement.

growing up i spent several summers with my aunt and uncle. they loved ethnic food and my uncle would always order his dish XXX hot or as hot as they would make it. he was a near celebrity at many Vietnamese restaraunts, and then finally met his match at Sri Lanka restaraunt :onfire: . his spicy craving inspired me as a kid. then when we moved to Texas the house we were renting had a chile tepin growing along the fence. these peppers made it into nearly every dish my mother cooked (she likes spicy too). been growing some sort of hot pepper in our garden ever since.

I don't remember having one person introduce me to hot stuff, but as a young lad my mother would make tacos once a week. I was about 10 or 11 and remember seeing a crusty bottle of tabasco in the fridge, it was probably in there for years, so I started putting it on everything else. When I was 18 or so my father told me about this little bar him and his friend went to for wings. So finally deer season came and we got our wings, my dads buddy got the xxx hot and my old man pussed out got the wimpy wings. Anyway I ate the xxx hot and thought they were great. The next spring I planted two plants in my parents garden a jaalpeno and a serrano the rest is history. By late march or early april im out of peppers from the year before, this yr I wont be.

i grew up in a place called Loxahatchee in south east florida.. back then it was all country and woods and dirt roads. now my dads old property is an Albertsons.. what ever.

anyhoo as a kid i we would pick these little red chiles that grew wild in the woods. they were sooo hot.. in compareing what they looked like, they looked like thai peppers, but they plants were viney. anyways there was an indian family down the street, and the father would make this crazy hot relish with it.. soo soo hot.. i could eat tabasco as a child, but this relish made that stuff tobasco look like pancake syrup..

once while picking peppers for the relish, i neglected to wash my hands.. then i went pee.. i was 7 years old.. let me just say there is not enough soap in the world when you get thai hot chile on your junk....

I have been obsessed with cooking spicy food since I was 15. My mother would allow me to cook a meal foe.my brothers and father and so I would go to the market and pick peppers among other ingredients to make them a special dish. I have been cooking with serranos.jalapenos.Chile.piquin and habaneros. However until.now my food has been to mild.

I just recently read an article about the hottest pepper in the world as they titled the article in "The monitor" ghost pepper.
I began doing some reading and I found THP... And OMG ....I am finally gonna get my brothers .. lol
I have introduced to a whole.new world of hot!! I love it!

~Sassyhott<3

My buddies kid was over hanging with my kid, he asked what kind of pepper I was eating with my hotdog, that pepper was the famous "Butch T", he tried his first Superhot at age 11 soon after I told him the story. He is one tough kid!

My mom and her mom always used Jalapenos,Habaneros,Cayennes,etc in their cooking.It comes from having mexican on her side of the family I suppose.

And then of course when me and my brother used to chow down on a bag of Habanero Doritios when they still made them...Man those were the days...

Then I went to youtube and found Darth Naga and Ted the fire breathing idiot which brought me here :) Yep thats it

When I was 5 my neighbor would come over with a jar of cherry peppers and a loaf of bread and we would eat the whole thing.

A friend of the family would always put red rooster on EVERYTHING including cereal. So I enjoyed sauce from an early age. Then in Jr. High me and my buddies would love to eat at this mexican food spot that had great hot sauce served in little cups. The had a "special" that was 3 items and 1 drink. We often only had enough for 1 special and would get 1 item each and made up this competition to decide who would get the drink.

Basically whoever could drink the most hot sauce would win. However with a twist.

We would "bid" on how many we could drink. I would say 3 my buddy would say 4 and another buddy would bid 5. When we thought it was too many we would say prove it. If he couldn't drink all 5 he would suffer and NOT get the drink. It was torture. The most I did was 4 although I bid 5. I was in so much pain I actually grabbed a handful of dirt and put it in my mouth just to help with the pain before I puked. Wow those where the good old days!

Reactions: nee
1524.jpg
Plus
grandito-burritos-spicy-red-hot-beef-burrito-and-bean-burritos-300x300.jpg
And
414AV8WRJ3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Coulnt stop after that, had to go hotter.

Then I had to grow my own peppers and make sauces.

Growing up, I never really had the chance to eat anything spicy at home. I think the spiciest thing we had in our house was worcestershire sauce, which is pretty damn mild. So I was never exposed to it for the first part of my life.

It wasn't until I bought a bag of Flamin' Hot Cheetos at the age of 12 that I finally experienced something that was "hot". And those Cheetos lit my ass up pretty good. Looking back, I wouldn't even consider those things very spicy now. At the time though, it was fire.

Apparently it was a janitor at Frito-Lay who invented Flamin' Hot Cheetos.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/community/2012/03/26/our-american-dream-richard-montanez-janitor-invents-hot-cheeto/

I just can't seem to find the year when they hit the market. I saw them in San Diego in 1992. That was the earliest I ever knew about them.

Back