What would you pay for plants?

My hot pepper growing is getting rather expensive, nobody's fault but my own! :)

This question is to all the SoCal members. I have been considering selling plants locally come spring time to help fund my pepper growing addiction. My question is, how much would you be willing to pay for plants? Say 4" starters, 1ga & 5ga pots? I am sure the price will differ depending on the variety, superhots being more expensive?

Not trying to make a living off selling plants, maybe just side money for soil, pots etc. I love growing peppers and have invested quite a bit in soil, germination stations and my most recent purchase of a polycarbonate greenhouse! Merry xmas to me! :)

Thanks in advance for any input!

If i were buying plants i might pay 10-12 bucks for a super hot in a 1 gal pot.

But 4" is just outta seedling stage so maybe 8-10 bucks in 4" starter pot

Hab's i would not pay more than 4-7 bucks depending on size and variety.

Good louck on your quest!

I bought some Capsicum plants from a guy at the swap meet in Carson. He didn't have a huge variety but the plants were very nice. His plants were $3 each in gallon pots or 2 for $5.

You'd be selling superhots to a different demographic, and I'm not sure where your market would be. Good luck recovering some of your investment.

i bought my seedling this year from jim duffy @refiningfirechili.com and i paid under 10 bucks for any one seedling in a 4" pot. he is 30 min east of me in san diego.

Thanks for the input guys! I more so want to sell some plants just to pay for my soil and nutrients. My organic potting soil adds up and so does making teas. Don't expect the sales of plants will recoup my greenhouse cost, that was my gift to myself!

So what would you guys pay for a 5ga pot that is already flowering?

I bought some Capsicum plants from a guy at the swap meet in Carson. He didn't have a huge variety but the plants were very nice. His plants were $3 each in gallon pots or 2 for $5.

You'd be selling superhots to a different demographic, and I'm not sure where your market would be. Good luck recovering some of your investment.

Can I ask what varieties you bought? Great prices! I paid $5/ea for two shishito pepper plants in one gallon pots off someone in Anaheim. That was before I acquired seeds for this variety, the guy had a ghost pepper plant and wanted $25 for it! I said no thanks, I will stick to growing that one from seed! :)

I bought mine from a local garden center for 99 cents each. They had about 10 varieties of hot peppers, no super-hots. All of there tomatoes and peppers are 99 cents. The plants were about 6" tall in a 2 1/2" square pot.

Check out CCN for their selection ... $2.00 and $2.75 each if you pick up at the nursery.

I bought two nice sided plants filled with peppers (butch t, and douglah) for $30 for 2 plants but they had 15-20 peppers each.

I think most who are into these types of peppers would rather grow from seed. I have some plants loaded with pods listed for sale here and on craigslist and have only sold a couple dozen or so locally. Could just be that very few local folks are into super hots. I got a bit carried away my first time out and ended up with 100 plants. Now I don't have enough room inside to overwinter them.

I think most who are into these types of peppers would rather grow from seed. I have some plants loaded with pods listed for sale here and on craigslist and have only sold a couple dozen or so locally. Could just be that very few local folks are into super hots. I got a bit carried away my first time out and ended up with 100 plants. Now I don't have enough room inside to overwinter them.

Thanks for the info Art! Are you in Southern California? We can grow year round here. I have been getting temps in the high 20's at night here and my plants are fine. I am way past the 100 plant mark, did I get carried away?? Maybe! :)

I do not plan on selling only super hots, I figure that is a niche market. Maybe a few here and there. What kind of varieties have you been trying to sell?

I wouldn't use 1 gal pots. Sell 6in plants in 2.5in pots. $4ea is a fair price. JMO. Good luck!

I get 4"starters & 1ga pots for free at my nursery, and 5ga pots for $.05/ea. That's why I put those sizes, will have to check out where to get 2.5".

Thanks for the input!

What kind of varieties have you been trying to sell?

I am in Northern California.

Here are the varieties.

5 gallon grow bags

Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Trinidad Scorpion
Bih Jolokia
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Red Savina Habanero

3 gallon grow bags

Douglah
Bombay Morich
Naga Morich
Dorset Naga
7 Pod Jonah
Yellow 7 Pod
Yellow Trinidad Scorpion
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
Fatali
Mystery plant 1 (I have an idea what these are, but not certain)
Mystery plant 2 (I have an idea what these are, but not certain)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T

Back