• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Whats a good mild pepper to grow?

hey i need a good tasting mild, but with sLIGHT sting pepper. I need some seeds, so if someone has some I'll either buy some or you can send me some :D haha ether way let me know please. Thanks!

Some would say jalapeno, I would say thai hot, or possibly birdseye. If used in cooking, you can bump up the heat a few notches, IMHO.

MrOneEyedBoh said:
hey i need a good tasting mild, but with sLIGHT sting pepper. I need some seeds, so if someone has some I'll either buy some or you can send me some :D haha ether way let me know please. Thanks!

How mild is mild, as in mild relative to what? And what did you plan to do with it?

Cherry Chocolate and Pilange are two of my favorites, although the seeds are a little tough to come by. There are a lot of seasoning peppers like Tobago Seasoning or Trinidad Perfume that are very mild. Bishop's Hat is a fun pepper, but has almost no heat.

I know the perfect pepper for you: Beaver Dam. I grew these a couple years ago(and again this year, they sprouted TODAY!) and they are FANTASTIC. Great flavor, very mild heat, but it is there, super sweet and delicious. Kinda like a slightly spicy bell pepper. You can find the seeds at www.heriloomseeds.com

Actually at: http://www.heirloomseeds.com/pepper.htm they'll be under "hot peppers" but they're not very hot at all.

And from thechileman.org:
Beaver%20Dam%20.jpg

"This Hungarian heirloom pepper was brought to Beaver Dam, Wisconsin USA by the Joe Hussli family in 1929. These 5in x 2.5in tapered peppers initially grow erect on the plant before gravity takes in course. they are crunchy in texture and mildly hot to taste, with excellent flavor. The peppers start bright green before maturing to deep red in approx 80 days. They are great when paired with tomatillos in a salsa."

I wouldn't make powders out of this guy, i'd eat him sliced up and sauteed or just fresh off the plant. MMMM

I like the Hungarian Hot Wax. Large peppers, very low heat when green, decent heat when red. Plants tend to be productive and the peppers are large enough to stuff or pickle.

Mike

Heat is relative....to a point.

Having eaten raw 7 pot and scorpion, I can definitely say...that ripe fresh jalapenos are still damn hot!!!!

It depends on your tolerance, but I find frank's hot/sweet to be a perfect blend of mild spice and sweetness.

Hmm yeah I can see where you guys are coming from in terms of HEAT. Its kind of like I say its purple, you say its violet.... kinda thing. I like the taste and sweetness of pepperchinis (sp?) and banana peppers.

cheezydemon said:
Heat is relative....to a point.

Having eaten raw 7 pot and scorpion, I can definitely say...that ripe fresh jalapenos are still damn hot!!!!

It depends on your tolerance, but I find frank's hot/sweet to be a perfect blend of mild spice and sweetness.

I like Frank's too!!! Definitely an underrated hot sauce. Lots of character and subtle undertones.

I group my peppers into: sweet, mild, medium, hot, and superhotties. Sorry I have no more seeds to trade but here's the mild ones I plan on growing this year:

Poblano- red and brown
crimson hot
chilaca
big chile hybrid(or some other Anaheim type)
Numex sunset
bishop's crown
cascabel
Catarina
golden greek pepperoncini

POTAWIE said:
I group my peppers into: sweet, mild, medium, hot, and superhotties. Sorry I have no more seeds to trade but here's the mild ones I plan on growing this year:

Poblano- red and brown
crimson hot
chilaca
big chile hybrid(or some other Anaheim type)
Numex sunset
bishop's crown
cascabel
Catarina
golden greek pepperoncini

that's a good list Derek...of the ones you listed, I grew Poblanos, big chile hybrid, a standard anaheim, and cascabel...one other one I grew was the Pasillo Bajio...these were producing machines of 6" long dark green to dark chocolate brown when ripe...low end heat...

my big chile hybrid didn't do too well but the standard anaheims produced like mad...

my cascabel pods were small and I only had one plant (that sucked)

I got a few poblano pods but they were very late season...

I will grow these again this year plus some Chile de Arbols...

I've grown pasilla bajio and some other chilacas and I love them. The pasilla bajio seems to be extra mild though compared to others.

I have heard you (and a few others) talk about the chilaca...but I am not familiar with the plant...

:runs off to google chilaca:

have you got a pic of a chilaca plant?...google results for chilaca search resulted nada

thanks for the info...

Back