• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

What's a good pepper to grow (not superhots)

It depends. How hot can she eat? I prefer Scotch Bonnets, which are about as hot as a regular habanero. Red Squash's are pretty good as well. If you want to gie her a pepper that's even milder, you can maybe go with any of the Aji peppers, or even something like the Trinidad Perfume.

Well there are the traditional/obvious(to me) choices of Serrano, Jalapeno, Cayenne, and then there are the Generic Thai Reds, which seem invincible (super easy!), other than that you could grow one of the bird peppers of the species C. frutescens including the Tabasco, or a piquin/chiltepin of the species C. annuum for a little bit of a challenge (depending on your experience). Baccatums are fine and dandy as well if you want a "new" flavor, but I prefer to use them only as a powder.

Cleo's dragon habanero is delicious, cherry bombs are great for cooking, and datil's are all 'round delicious. Cajun belles are nice as well, they've got a bit of a zip, almost as hot as a jalapeño. And don't forget you can still cook with superhots... Just use a lot less of them. Any aji variety is pretty awesome and won't turn her mouth into an incinerator.

You have to figure out how much heat they can stand and if they would eat enough to become acclimated to it. Typical peppers most people can stand in moderation include cayenne, jalapeno, hot cherry/pimento, hungarian waxed (depends on strain, some are hotter than others). There's even a low heat version of a habanero but I forget the name of it (had no interest at the time, lol).

Bell for no heat and just the flavor.
Anaheims, Pablanos, and Jalapenos would all be great for little heat and decent flavor.
(Dried Pablano is also called Ancho. same pepper, just different name when dried)

I'm a big fan of Spanish padron. It's typically eaten in the green stage by sautéing it in olive oil and sprinkling it with salt. IMO, the peppers have a slight nutty taste and the heat is just under a jalapeño.

Aji Chombo( Panama) or Ahi Dulce Cuba, P.R. Domincan Republic etc.
Real fruity with just a bit of kick. Even the locals like them and these jokers think Jalapenos are Kryptonite , unless I smoke them and do salsa.
Nothing wrong with a quick roasted Poblano either.

I highly recommend 'Sweet Heat'. Really easy to grow. Wonderful taste and texture, juicy and crisp with a nice spicy tangy finish.
The pod production is unbelievable for the compact plant size, and I am growing them in only 10" containers.
The heat is all contained in the small placenta and seeds, that are easily separated if you want it as just a super sweet.
My first comments on this pepper are here:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32221-burpee-sweet-heat-hybrid/page__hl__%2Bburpee+%2Bsweet+%2Bheat

I would add Fresno peppers to the list of mild but tasty peppers. I believe they also have a very high vitamin content. Great for adding mild spice to food dishes.

Back