• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Whats a great HOT!! Recipe?

Hey all. Whats a great recipe for a really hot sauce? I have made a few sauces using my Red Habs which for me are stupidly hot on their own, but when made into sauces aren't as hot as I'd like. (I did leave the seeds out thought for the consistency of the BBQ sauce)

bentalphanerd said:
cook it with the seeds in & push it through a sieve before you bottle.

never thought of using of a sieve before. just figured making hot sauce at home, that seeds were part of the price that I paid for quality. Any suggestions on the mesh size? Or maybe a brand name?

Sauceman

whatever they're selling at the local supermarket really. Just make sure it's strong because you'll want to hit it with the back of a spoon to get the good stuff through. Plastic handles wont live long.

i just finished straining the seeds out of the first gallon. what a difference. seems I had the right tool for the job after all, just forgot that I had it. back in the day when I had a garden, I use to make my own habanero/tomato juice. nothing like it. anyway I have a manual meat/vegetable grinder. I ran the hot sauce through once, n the seed gook twice.

Just your basic Plain Jane meat/vegetable, no bells or whistles grinder. I poured the sauce in through the top, cranking the handle at the same time. the purified sauce, came out on the side, and the seeds n whatever else was pushed forward through the worm gear. this process took less than ten minutes. the seeds are almost dry. I think I'm going to dehydrate the seeds the rest of the way, n turn them into powder.

Back