• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What's going on with my plants???

Is something eating on my plants or is this something else?  I can't find any pests on the plants or on top of the soil.  As you can see in the pics, it is worse on some plants, and actually non existent on others. I am familiar with fighting aphids and grass hoppers, but these plants are aphid free and we don't have grasshoppers yet. 

Are you foliar spraying, and if so, with what and in what quantity and how often? Also, how often are you watering? If the white isn't residue from excessive fertilizing, could be powdery mildew, especially if the leaves are regularly getting wet. Some of it looks like salt - kind of hard to tell. It does look like some fertilizer burn going on there. To check for some of the smallest mites, you need a jeweler's loupe of at least 30x, which you can find on Amazon if you can't find locally. 

http://www.growingagreenerworld.com/controlling-or-eliminating-powdery-mildew/ <<< this is a pretty good article on controlling powdery mildew.

The white residue is DE that is dusted them with, that later got rained on. The DE didn't seem to have any affect on whatever is causing this.

The only foliar spray they have gotten is a mix of water, garlic, olive oil, dishsoap and Epsom salt. It was because a few of my plants got aphids awhile back so I treated them all. This was about a month ago and the plants that had aphids got several treatments in a row, and they aren't having this problem. So that isn't likely the problem.

The plants get a very mild Happy Frog fertilizing every other week. Last years plants got the same treatment and didn't get fert burn. But I will stop fertilizing them until this is resolved just to be safe. The soil they are in is sufficient anyway.

If this is due to mites, what can I treat it with? I have Seven dust for my tomato plants, so I have that on hand.

Pretty much anything that is safe for tomatoes is also safe for peppers, as they are closely related.

One thing you may or may not know is that you have to be very foliar spraying with soaps.  I learned from my own experience that it must be a very dilute soap solution and you need to spray early in the morning or late in the evening.  Soap dissolves the waxy cuticle that protects the leaves.  If it is compromised, the leaves can be burned  very quickly.

I'm not saying this is what happened, but that was the first thing I thought when I saw the pictures because of the similarity I remember with my own experience.

Bob_B said:
One thing you may or may not know is that you have to be very foliar spraying with soaps.  I learned from my own experience that it must be a very dilute soap solution and you need to spray early in the morning or late in the evening.  Soap dissolves the waxy cuticle that protects the leaves.  If it is compromised, the leaves can be burned  very quickly.

I'm not saying this is what happened, but that was the first thing I thought when I saw the pictures because of the similarity I remember with my own experience.
The amount of dishsoap in my 1 quart of mix is a teaspoon. I've used this mix to kill aphids before with no negative results, so I assume it is a safe amount. And the plants with this current issue were only sprayed once, very lightly, just before dark.

Had it rained heavily lately? Over here we have had 8-10 days with a mix of hot weather, rain storms and overcast and wet days. The rain has flushed the compost of most of its nutrients, causing a lack of calcium amongst others and yellow leaves. The heavy rain has acted like hail stones and ripped and torn my leaves in an identical manner. I have holes, rips, bits missing and dropped leaves from natures overwatering.

Could this be similar to what I have seen.

Back