• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What's going on with my tabascos?

Ive got some kind of issue with my tabasco peppers. Its only the ones in the garden. The ones in the greenhouse are fine. We had a cold front come thru last week for one night only and it dipped down in the high 30's. Also when I transplanted I put a cup of compost around each plant. The tabascos are curling and getting a little brown and my cucumbers are all brown around the leaf edge but everything else is ok. Any ideas?

and another..

and heres a healthy one in the greenhouse. Major differance huh?

Thanks for everyones responces. I see from the link mx5inpa posted im not the only one thats had this happen. It sounds like pest damage, overwatering, malnutrition, and drastic weather changes are the most common causes. 

Im thinking the major drop in temps, then back up to hot weather so quickly was probably the cause. I will try the epsom salt treatment tomorrow though to see if that helps. I havent really had any pest issues other than some cucumber beetles which have mostly passed. Very few aphids and no spider mites at all.

mx5inpa said:
Why? Wheres the inter-veinal chlorosis?
calcium deficiency will pucker and deform new leaves without inter-veinal chlorosis

I am going to say that the plant is shocked with the transplant + compost(how composted is it?) + low temps + looks like you got some slug damage

but then again I am no expert

The soil quality down there tends to be very poor. You have clay rather than dirt and most pepper plants don't want to do so well in clay just due to the fact it doesn't drain well. It's hard to say what you need because it very well be that you are doing plenty of ferts but are having nutrient lock. It's almost impossible. You can buy a soil test kit or take a cup of soil down to your county extension office and have them test it for it's NPK values. I grew a tabasco plant last year in ground and it went from small to big real quick. Did very well in the dry heat up here in Lubbock. Good luck and hope that helps.

OKGrowin said:
i'd throw some cal mag or epsom salts at them

pshngo said:
calcium deficiency will pucker and deform new leaves without inter-veinal chlorosis

I am going to say that the plant is shocked with the transplant + compost(how composted is it?) + low temps + looks like you got some slug damage

but then again I am no expert

Since he said "or epsom salts" and the only common ingredient is magnesium...

Back