• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds What's Happening to My Seedlings - Yellow Leaves

My seedlings were doing well until this evening. When I took them out from under the lights, I noticed many had yellowed and distorted leaves.

The mix is Kellogs, a decent potting mix. I've been watering every day and recently applied a solution of Shultz liquid fertilizer. Could a strong dose of fertilzer cause yellowing like this? Could it be too much water or lighting?

What should I stop doing? Is it possible the plants will recover?

DSC_6063.jpg

DSC_6065.jpg

DSC_6066.jpg

I did flush them in hopes that it would remove the fertilizer.

Are the plants able to recover?

I'm throwing that crap out ...

I say too much water also. ........ also what do you plan on doing with the cup with 2 seedlings in it? The roots will be intertwined now, you won't be able to seperate and you won't be able to gro 2 in 1 cup.

The holes are plenty big, but you need to let the roots search for some water.......let the soil get light brown until they are screaming for water...........less water and they will stand up at attention....then just give them a taste

Pick the cups up, if they feel light then water....else leave them alone......in the long run this early strees can make for a durable plant

my 2 cents

bossman

Let the soil dry out before watering. Water just before the seedlings will wilt. Make sure they don't die though...;) Chilis are like cacti almost.....

too much water and fert.

Just leave 'em alone for a while. Might need to do a decent flushing after letting the soil dry out for awhile.

I don't recall any yellowing to that extent before the fertilizer. They are under a mix of 6500K and 3000K fluourescent tubes, about 11,000 lumens. I typically leave the lights on 24x7.

The weekend is coming up, I'll take them outside in the sun for a while on Sat and Sun when I'm around during the day. That will surely help dry them out. As far as the Shultz, I won't use it any longer. It may be old - but I didn't think / know liquid plant fertilizer went bad. Maybe it was too strong.

Hmmm... in that case, I'm sticking with fert burn. Only ever give seedlings a half-strength dose, and even then, I wouldn't say give it to them while they are that young. (CAUTION! Amateur opinion here)

Does the potting mix you are using have nutes mixed in it already too?

I wouldn't put them in the sun right now. You need to let the substrate dry out and straight sun right now would probably burn them physically along with the chemical burn from the ferts. Don't give up on the Schultz either. Go with half strength until you get a couple sets of true leaves.

Good luck.

I used Kellogs potting mix, no nutes. The seedlings seem to have recovered after a flushing and a few days of actual sunlight.

Back