• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Whats happening to these seedlings?

I do have these in almost direct sun but I live in Florida and started from seed outdoors. This is not happening on all of my seedlings, but it is happening to a few. And it only is happening to the leaves that people would consider (I'm guessing) not true. They fall right off and have a rubber feel to them. Here are a few pictures. 

dftx54.jpg

nvs2gp.jpg

ribbedturtleneck said:
First culprit is usually overwatering.
I water from the bottom, usually add about 1 inch of water in the second cup and wait for it to evaporate. The tops are bone dry too. I'm not sure if that equates to over or under. 

ribbedturtleneck said:
An inch of water goes a long way in a solo cup. That might last me 3 weeks between waterings.

How often have you been soaking them?
Well it varies. Florida has had some really hot days lately. I check every few days and if the water is gone I reapply. If there is any left, I just leave it alone. 

Colors on monitors can be deceiving, so I'll give you a couple options. If the leaves turn white and thin, it's sun scald. This is usually not the case for seeds sown outside though. If the leaves turn yellow, particularly in very young sprouts like yours, it's most likely overwatering (regardless of watering method.)

Keep in mind that sticking a finger in the soil is not a good measure of the water level where the roots are at - the top can seem to be bone-dry, but the area by the roots may still be quite moist. Try backing off on the watering and see what happens.

Thanks guys I will back off the watering. And the ones that are turning a pale color and dropping leaves will be transplanted into a small pot. I do better in terms of watering with pots. I'm hoping it's not sun scald and the dirt was pretty moist. I'll put them in some shade as well!

Back