• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

What's hotter, Orange Habanero, or a Chocolate Habanero? (The chocolate habanero might be a Jamaican

In most cases, the Chocolate Habanero is the hotter variety. Every once in a blue moon, you get an Orange that just melts your face off. That being said, I prefer the flavor of Chocolate Habs to the Orange. Not saying much since I despise the taste of Orange Habaneros...

In my experience, the Jamaican Hot Chocolate is a bit warmer than the standard Orange Habanero or similar orange C.Chinense. I prefer the flavor of the Jamaican Hot Chocolate, it has a deeper, earthy and fruity flavor that is terrific as a powder. Never had the "regular" Chocolate Habanero or others, though the Chocolate Bhut I thought was hotter than the Red Bhut.

Not being a fan of the orange hab, I prefer the chocolate hab hands down for flavor and heat. The chocolates have been hotter in my opinion.

Thanks. I HATE the flavor of the Orange habaneros.
pretty sure the brown one is, why you have some?
I am going to be growing them

The reason I ask is because the Orange habanero that I had was definitely not comfortable. I'm only going to have half of a chocolate Hab to test the heat. I hear the flavor is great!

Well I just tryed a chocolate hab yesterday its the first one to ripen out of like 75 pod from my 5 plants . Gatta tell ya .... I'll take the the choco hab over the orange hab anytime .

Reason 1 : larger size

Reason 2 : better flavor ( smokey )

Reason 3 : higher heat

Imo .

Its tough to say which is better, they have different heat, size, growth patterns, flavors and origin.
"choc. habs" are actually congo black/browns from the Caribbean and habaneros are orange(and arguably red) and from The Yucatan peninsula area of Mexico

Well I just tryed a chocolate hab yesterday its the first one to ripen out of like 75 pod from my 5 plants . Gatta tell ya .... I'll take the the choco hab over the orange hab anytime .

Reason 1 : larger size

Reason 2 : better flavor ( smokey )

Reason 3 : higher heat

Imo .

do you want my address now or later when they ready?

I see what you mean though.how much larger are they though?

Sorry beelzeboss ,all gone now my brother took some and I powdered the rest , reckon I should have came back to this thread earlier and hooked ya up . Hey if this helps ya any I have seeds yer welcom to some if want .

DAMN BIRDS ATE MY SEEDLINGS!!! Every last one of them... :(

Birds ate 11 of my red habanero seedlings. They left the last 3 that I had in my garden alone, for some reason. Maybe the plant finally got large enough that it wasn't as appetizing.

Incidently, I had been wondering whether the Choc hab was hotter than the orange or not. Somebody(ColoradoRonin) was nice enough to send me a dried choc hab, and I was surprised by the heat level. Now I just need to get me some seeds for those.

I like Orange Habs, personally. But I have never had a Chocolate Hab before, so I can't really compare the heat level between the two.

I will know just which one is hotter though here in the next couple of days. Can't wait. :dance:

Back