• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What's hotter...Ripe or unripe

It's different with jalapenos for sure. I'm applying this only to the pepper tested.

Jalapenos are actually ripe green that's why they are dark green. They are not unripe it is a stage of actual ripeness until red, like a poblano, serrano. Perhaps annum.

Many other peppers are unripe when green, hence the light coloring.

The Hot Pepper said:
But I guess we're all dumb. ;)

wpid-foxxredd.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
It's different with jalapenos for sure. I'm applying this only to the pepper tested.

Jalapenos are actually ripe green that's why they are dark green. They are not unripe it is a stage of actual ripeness until red, like a poblano, serrano. Perhaps annum.

we were talking about super hots!! Not calling anyone in this thread dumb at all....just the ones who spread bad info with no first hand knowledge. My favorite one is waiting to water pepper plants until they are wilting will make them hotter ;)

Stop blowing cold smoke up my ass.... :lol:

I know CS, just messin

ColdSmoke said:

we were talking about super hots!! Not calling anyone in this thread dumb at all....just the ones who spread bad info with no first hand knowledge. My favorite one is waiting to water pepper plants until they are wilting will make them hotter ;)

Plenty of info that proves that to be correct. Not subjective jargon here,proper studies. There are plenty of stressors,drought is just one of them.

Where's that "Best Answer" green-post button thing?

1tom2go said:
The results are in!  Everybody wins!  These results are from about 25 pods of each color randomly picked by color (red or green) from only one plant to see what the difference in ripe vs. unripe would be.  :party:

1tom2go said:
The results are in!  Everybody wins!  These results are from about 25 pods of each color randomly picked by color (red or green) from only one plant to see what the difference in ripe vs. unripe would be.  :party:

Thanks for posting up the research! When I said was this a real thing, I meant it in the sense of it seems obvious, as when I would eat a green
super compared to the ripe ones, the ripe always seem twice as hot. So I thought you were just messing with us not actually planning on going all 
Bill Nye here lol. I think it is really cool that you are able to do this. Does the time in the ethanol make any differences on the result? What is the max
time you can let it dwell?

After reading about the different capsaicinoids, this makes me wonder how they would measure in a test like this. I wonder if different alkaloids develope at different times in ripening.

Really...it'd be interesting just to see the breakdown of different capsaicinoids levels in different hot peppers. But I'm guessing this would be a much more complicated test than getting the Scoville rating.

Student of Spice said:

Thanks for posting up the research! When I said was this a real thing, I meant it in the sense of it seems obvious, as when I would eat a green
super compared to the ripe ones, the ripe always seem twice as hot. So I thought you were just messing with us not actually planning on going all 
Bill Nye here lol. I think it is really cool that you are able to do this. Does the time in the ethanol make any differences on the result? What is the max
time you can let it dwell?

From what I can tell, after about 3 or 4 hours at 40C, it's done and it doesn't matter how long after that.  These were in the 40C oven for about 14 hours (overnight).  The main thing is too little time is an issue, but I don't think you can "over extract."  I think other solvents or methods can eek out a little more but they are more expensive.

The Hot Pepper said:

Ok fine, I just happen to have a bunch of jalapeños to test!  Next week I will do Jalapeños to see if we are as smart as we think!  Also, aren't ripe jalapeños RED just like most??  

ColdSmoke said:
funny how things that are common sense now have to be proven because people are so dumb....lol

I just never believe what everyone says, call me dumb.  

Tom, Thanks for sharing this with us.
Have you ever tested a super when it just started ripening, then another that been left to ripen longer, say 2 weeks when it gets that darker shade of ripeness?

Thanks for the science Tom! Love to see the numbers. I guess it would depend on how green the pods really are too. By that I mean are they newly formed pods that are early green or green that will start turning color in the next couple days. Days from pollination would be a big factor in the capsaicin content.

Lovepeppers said:
Tom, Thanks for sharing this with us.
Have you ever tested a super when it just started ripening, then another that been left to ripen longer, say 2 weeks when it gets that darker shade of ripeness?

No I haven't.  That would be hard to do since you will have to check the plant every day.  This is the first time I've done any ripeness testing.

Bigmark said:
Thanks for the science Tom! Love to see the numbers. I guess it would depend on how green the pods really are too. By that I mean are they newly formed pods that are early green or green that will start turning color in the next couple days. Days from pollination would be a big factor in the capsaicin content.

I grabbed some very young and some just before color change.  So, I would guess what I go is an average heat.  Also, this is just one plant.

Thanks!  -Tom

Back