• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What’s missing?

I have several seedlings and some of them are getting yellowish leaves. Some of the seedligs have only first set of leaves others have 3 or 4 sets.

I’m sure I have read someplace on the forum about this but can’t find it.

Could someone please help on what should I add?

Are you using soil less media?

I got that on some peppers in hydro..I put 2 mil of cal mag in res...let you know how it goes..

Seedlings are on Miracle Gro pot soil which seems to work well. The seedlings are in small styrofom cups so overwatering seems a posiblility. I'll keep an aye on it- And maybe add some diluted nitrogen as suggested.

Thank guys for your anwers...

you want to poke holes in the bottom for sure, its extremely easy to overwater and not know it with a sealed bottom.

that particular soil tends to compact as well since its a soil based mix

I believe yellowing is usually from:
1: Too much N
2: overwater
3: not enough water

Seedlings generally do not need as much fertilizer as what is in the MG soil or any at all for that matter until they get a bigger root system and grab a foothold. If it was me I would not feed at all for now and I would gently move them to nute free soil and just give them pure water for a spell only when needed
Good Luck...  and Mikkyd suggestions are solid!

This particular soil doesn’t compact too much and appears to be the best of the various I have, all are potting types which is what I can get here. The amount of soil on the cup is not much, it goes a bit more than ½ the total volume.

The foam cups have holes at the bottom but I have a second cup (transparent) outside to receive the drained water that fits tight. There is always some drained water on the outside cup, if it’s too much I empty it.

Light is sparse, they sit on a window with a good reflecting white wall outside and receive some direct sunlight in the morning through a  mosquito net. Temperature varies between 60 and 90ºF aprox.

Seeds are from Pepperlover, 7 pod primo, indian carbon, dorset and some others.
Thanks guys for your help

DesertPod said:
The foam cups have holes at the bottom but I have a second cup (transparent) outside to receive the drained water that fits tight. There is always some drained water on the outside cup, if it’s too much I empty it.

Light is sparse, they sit on a window with a good reflecting white wall outside and receive some direct sunlight in the morning through a  mosquito net. Temperature varies between 60 and 90ºF aprox.

Seeds are from Pepperlover, 7 pod primo, indian carbon, dorset and some others.
Thanks guys for your help

Cool..so what I can gather from your data...the second cup is probably not allowing air to flow...plants, roots, dirt need air..perhaps there is another way to catch the excess water?  Toss the second cup....!!!  
If not everything will stagnate and rot....Also you need much more light...perhaps a cheap clamp on light with a 6500K CFL bulb in there is better then only morning light....you should have at least 16-18 hours of light for peppers and tomatoes....Be well

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Cool...así que lo que he entendido en los datos... la segunda copa es probablemente no para permitir que el aire fluya... plantas, raíces, tierra necesitan aire..quizá no hay otra manera de atrapar el exceso de agua? Saltear la segunda taza...!!!

Si no todo se pudrió... También necesita mucha más luz... quizás una abrazadera de luz barata con un 6500K lámpara fluorescente compacta (CFL) es mejor, a continuación, sólo luz de la mañana... usted debe tener por lo menos 16-18 horas de luz para los pimientos y los tomates bien....

Sawdust,

Yesterday I tossed the outer cup, 24 hours later they seem to be coming back to a healthier life.
Good advice, thank you much,

Antonio

DesertPod said:
Sawdust,

Yesterday I tossed the outer cup, 24 hours later they seem to be coming back to a healthier life.
Good advice, thank you much,

Antonio
Cool...so how is it going now? Bro!

6 seedlings survived and look quite healthy, still on the Styrofoam vases two in each, I have been procrastinating to change them to a bigger place and need to do that very soon, summer is almost here and quite hot these days.

Thanks for asking, Antonio

Back