• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer What's the best fertilizer for peppers

PepperLover said:
this is the best so far you will never burn the plants and its organic i use it alot i has bad smell but its very good for peppers

PMJI.  I'm gonna try some fish soup this year.  Is there any specific type or brand you'd suggest?

What dose rate works for you?

I use Fish and Poop while the plants are indoors, and compost, compost tea, and epsom salt foliar after they get kicked outside. Joel Salatin said it best... Feed the soil, and let the soil feed your plants.

Mushroom compost, (must be aged a bit) is a great source of nutrients and organic matter. I put it in my container mix, with a little dolomite powder to bring down the pH a little.  I use it in the spring but don't use any later in the season as the nitrogen to too high and the plants will just want to grow leaves. It's available at a good nursery or sometimes rural plant stores, you might have to look around a bit but it's well worth it. It's what they grow mushrooms in so sometimes a mushroom farm has extra or can locate it for you.

Alaska fish emulsion is cheap at Walmart and works great when combined with kelp extract too. You can make your own kelp extract for pennies or just buy the Alaska extract or even kelp meal. 15grams of dried wakame will easily make 6-9 gallons of diluted watering solution. Mix that with the recommended amount of fish emulsion (2 tbs per gallon) and give each 5 gallon pot a quart.

$16/Gallon at Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Alaska-Fish-1-Gal-Emulsion-Fertilizer/17757317

My plants this year are loving it.

Mister_Al said:
Rabbit manure is the absolute best fertilizer I've ever used. You have to try it to believe it. The only drawback of it is you have to keep a pair of hedge trimmers handy for when your plants start getting out of control.

Alan

We use chicken and duck poop.  I am very happy with it.  But thank you for an excellent reason to raise rabbit.  Been looking for an excuse.  How long to you age it?

Have been thinking about rabbit because most folk raise them with wire floors, makes for easy poop collection.  Have even seen people do that over a pond.  Evidently the poop feeds cat fish well.  Not saying I would want to bath in that water, but bet it would be great for the garden as well.

Bat Crap from insect eaters is freaking awesome.  It's fast acting and, from what I can tell, is pretty much a complete fertilizer.  
I'm a little leery of possible potassium issues, but after two years of use, my plants completely love the stuff, and I've seen no obvious K-deficient symptoms.
IMO, it's at least as effective and economical as Fish Soup.

This guy will set you up.  (Not an endorsement, but if he's selling what he says, it's lightning in a bucket.)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-lbs-9-3-1-Mexican-Free-Tail-Bat-Guano-Soil-Amendment-produced-in-USA-/332212139364?hash=item4d5962f564:g:31gAAOSwPc9W1Gzr

Geonerd, I wonder if the eating insects part is one of the reasons.  I have read that predator poop from the zoo (Lions, Tigers) is very good.  But on the other hand, have read house cats and dogs make for horrible garden poop.  Hmmmm....

Back