• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Whats this ? Naga Viper !!

Crossing an unstable hybrid is just going to make the gene pool a whole lot larger. You're going to have a lot of phenotypes to chose from for many many years. This would be like 4 crosses for this pepper in only a couple of years :( I just don't see the point but good luck.

Potawie.
Its just a hobby to me,i love growing Chillies in not interested in seed selling ect just growing.I think people will just have to get used to the fact that there is going to be lots more folks trying to grow the hottest Chilli in future seasons. I must admit i will be having a go at it i find it a fascinating pastime.Imho this chilli growing hobby is going to become much more popular over the next few years,some of the sauce ive produced with Seven Pod and Fatalii the last few weeks are superb.

I'm just saying that making a cross from a plant that isn't stable to start with is going to be extra difficult, it might still be fun. For true hybrid plants you need to start with 2 completely different true breeding parent plants, which surely is not the case here.

Gerald grows all kinds of chiles in his greenhouse. Remember recent press releases saying Viper was in his Greenhouse. He has one Greenhouse. And grows all kinds of good stuff together. So now Your Viper seeds or other seeds have been exposed to crossing with Cayenne or anything else he had in there. Because if he had only Viper in there he would have so many pods his sauce supply and seed supply for Vipers would be extensive. So if he did make a real cross that would take years he just compromised that cross in his greenhouse.

IMHO, creating new varieties by nature herself takes ages.

Just by crossing diff varieties, it may be possible to get some result different from original parent varieties.

But getting a stable long lasting variety is just speculation.

If anybody wishes to throw away their hard earned mony, it is his/her own choice.

I am also a little skeptic about Naga-Viper thingy.

Now a number seeds you buy on the commercial market are f1 hybrids. So apparently as far as f1's are concerned it's just a matter of finding a couple of plants that mix well and consistently.

f1's will all grow the same and certainly have some advantages. Its the f2's on that will show recessive traits where you'll have to do your own selective breeding preferable with many many plants for many years.
If this Viper is actually an unstable three way recent cross then you really don't know what you're going to get when buying seeds. On the other hand they may just be Scorpion seeds given a new name and a new story :(

Now I just met a Nursery guy from Connecticuit. He has been crossing Naga with Scorpion for 3 yrs. He loves growing peppers and has been doing it since he was 14. He is sending me a bunch of seeds. Not just the cross but some other stuff too. He wont take any money from me. Anyways if I do get these seeds I will trade and not sell them. If anyones interested let me know. I am looking for a stable Yellow or Brown Scorpion. I also got a bunch of Chocolate Devil's Tongue this year. I cannot sell because they appeared in a group of Red Devil's Tongue. So cannot guarantee. But will trade. They have a great taste and Marlin tested them out at over 500,000.

Is this on the level or should there be some kinda of heat certificate ..Or maybe we just haven't seen it yet..Just wondering. They say this one can remove paint.Not for the faint of heart ( ME )
http://www.chilefoundry.co.uk/2010/10/16/new-record-chilli-trinidad-viper-chilli-1349000-shus/
Wow...the Buzz on the Naga Viper is unreal. I've received over 100 emails in a week.
Although, it may be more hype than reality, it is good for the Chile Pepper industry and I feel strongly that any day now a Pepper will be proven hotten than the Ghost or Bhut Jolokia. They are out there.
I think we all realize that further testing is necessary for the Viper...is too premature to put it in teh Guiness Book of World Records like the Ghost Pepper is.
Also, I believe you need a new Cross Pollinated Pepper to be 3 generations old and true to form to become an official new strain.
And the plot thickens....

Habanero500, I caught that Chocolate Devils Tongue variety in your post. it interests me. :) Any pictures you can share?

Chris
Chris my E mail is jpdherb@cox.net I still cannot get pics up on here so I won't try. But if you E mail me I will send you the photos and then you can put them up. Is this okay with you?
Jim

This is a response from Peter Dunn press representative from Warwick University to Dave De Witts Press person.It is also on Dave's website I am copying it to all Naga Viper forums.

"The University of Warwick School of Life Sciences has been asked by a number of growers to test Chillies to ascertain their heat level on the Scoville Scale. Each of those tests has been done as a commercial service to those clients and the University has not publicized or press released any of the results.

One of those clients recently asked us to test a Chilli they described as a "Naga Viper". We completed the test and gave the results to the client. We have since seen a number of media publish those results under headlines that this indicates that the tested Chilli is the hottest in the world.

We also understand from news reports that there has been some interest in having this published as a fact in the Guinness Book Records.

While we cannot release our full report on this Chilli without the commercial clients express permission, we can say that we feel that any result obtained from the Chilli sample that was tested by us should be viewed as only a good indicator that this Chilli could the conditions of entry into the Guinness Book of Records. The sample provided to us was relatively small and, while we do not know explicitly what the Guinness Book of Records testing requirements would be, we would expect that they would require at least one more test with a larger sample and possibly a corroborating test in another lab."

Back