health What's Wrong With My Hydro Peppers?

Hey guys, first time ever growing chilis in hydro, they lookin' sad after transplant =(

They are in Growstone with Gnat Gnix on top, top fed drip running 15 mins every 4 hours.

General Hydroponics nutes @ 620 ppm, even amounts of grow bloom and micro.

pH @ 6.0-6.7

Just did res change last night after 1 week of feeding.

Lemme know what you guys think, they are in 24/7 light since they get light from the window during
the day and lights come on at night, this an issue?

photo1-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

for plants that big you should be looking at WAY higher nute levels. i have some plants that big looking at 1100 PPM (same nutes you have)

I am no Hydo Guy but shouldn't the PH be around 5.5? also if the plants are not use to 620 ppm could be a little Nut burn if it was a big jump to them.

I have tried General Hydroponics nutes, and if I was given it free again, I would not take it. The few times I used it I always had trouble, soon as I switched to something else all my troubles went away!! I wont use synthetic nuts ever again if I can help it.

Mr. Hill said:
I am no Hydo Guy but shouldn't the PH be around 5.5? also if the plants are not use to 620 ppm could be a little Nut burn if it was a big jump to them.

I have tried General Hydroponics nutes, and if I was given it free again, I would not take it. The few times I used it I always had trouble, soon as I switched to something else all my troubles went away!! I wont use synthetic nuts ever again if I can help it.
That sounds about right, 6.0-6.7 pH is a bit too high for hydro but is right for soil.

Aiight guys, thanks so much! Correcting pH and gonna chill at 620ppm since one said too high and one said too low! =D

As others have stated your PH is a little high, I've had better success with 5.5 - 5.8

A quick easy fix to the discolor try a tablespoon of epson salt per gallon. It's surprising what it can do.

All the pepper plants that I have grown in hydro seem to like calcium and magnesium.

In hydro units magnesiums uptake by the plants roots easier at slightly lower PH. Calcium uptake is fine around the 6.8 - 7.0 mark.
This is why I made the Epson salt statement.

As to light, 16/8 or 12/12 is fine. The peppers the we have done don't seem to be that sensitive to light cycle. Unlike other crops complete darkness is not a critical factor.

Best of luck and enjoy your grow.

The droopy leaves suggest either under watering or over watering. If I understand your grow media correct, it is just recycled glass chunks that perform similar to hydroton. Seeing how you just transplanted them and their roots probably aren't well established yet, I would increase the frequency of on time quite a bunch and see if that helps.

Just for reference, my outdoor plants last year in 8 and 10" net pots of hydroton were on the drip line 15 min on and 15 min off for the whole summer. The reservoir was well aerated and the plants loved it.

Your pH is fine and your ppm is fine unless you are pushing for aggressive growth like Pex does.

I usually run my ppm up a little higher during the grow season, but right now, I am running lower since I'm just overwintering and don't need aggressive growth. Cheaper this way.

Back