• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health What's wrong with this chili plant?

You said that you would "try and get a fan".  Did that happen?
If you don't get a fan, and can't put the plant outside in shade, it's probably best just to abort it now.  Your plant doesn't have air movement, so it can't take up the water that it's sitting in.  Droopy leaves are classic overwatering.  The next stage will be leaves falling off while the plant is still green.

Coco is a bit of a different beast than peat and soil. The composition looks like it's a very fine pith, which I'm not a fan of. Some add perlite, but I found that my chili plants do way better after I ran the medium through a wire mesh strainer and just kept the coarse coco. You also need some sort of a nutrient if you want optional results in this grow medium. Standard soil ferts often don't perform as well.

The other option is to replant into a container soil.

Neil

Blister said:
Coco is a bit of a different beast than peat and soil. The composition looks like it's a very fine pith, which I'm not a fan of. Some add perlite, but I found that my chili plants do way better after I ran the medium through a wire mesh strainer and just kept the coarse coco. You also need some sort of a nutrient if you want optional results in this grow medium. Standard soil ferts often don't perform as well.

The other option is to replant into a container soil.

Neil

My personal experience is that the addition of perlite accomplishes the same thing, thus making it 6 of one, half a dozen of the other...  I prefer not to strain the coco, because I'll end up throwing away half of it. 
But either way, even though I agree with you, I don't think this is a nutrient issue, just yet. 
The fan?  :?:

I didnt read this whole thread..but if you are still having issues I would say its either. Wet feet. Too cooler temp. Or needs some fert.
The plant is small but it looks like it may be in coir, in which case it will almost certainly need some sort of fert.

Yeah I've employed a fan to circulate the air around the plant.

I don't think it is a nutrient issue, the plant also seems to still be growing quite fast to me, it has a new set of leaves every 4-5 days?
I've just removed one of the leaves that was particularly browned, I didn't want it to spread down onto the stem?

Overnight the leaves have stood up again but are still curled on their edges. I have also just removed some soil from the pot to make it a bit more airy down there

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Josh40996 said:
Yeah I've employed a fan to circulate the air around the plant.

I don't think it is a nutrient issue, the plant also seems to still be growing quite fast to me, it has a new set of leaves every 4-5 days?
I've just removed one of the leaves that was particularly browned, I didn't want it to spread down onto the stem?

Overnight the leaves have stood up again but are still curled on their edges. I have also just removed some soil from the pot to make it a bit more airy down there

Removing potting mix actually raises the PWT. (perched water table)
Have you thought about potting it up, into a larger container that has some added drainage amendment?
Also, that plant in coco is going to need to be fed, at some point.  Primarily calcium.  Coco coir definitely needs a calcium source, and more often than other media.  Are you still just relying on the nutrients that came with the potting mix?
When I get back home, I'll snap a pic of a Rocoto that I have growing in coco coir and perlite, and show you what size container might be helpful for overcoming watering issues indoors.

Oh, so have I made the problem worse by removing soil?

I'll probably change the soil to something else, is there anything you recommend that I can buy ready made?

For calcium I have some dry calcium chloride flakes and solution for my reef tank if that's helps

Josh40996 said:
Oh, so have I made the problem worse by removing soil?

I'll probably change the soil to something else, is there anything you recommend that I can buy ready made?

For calcium I have some dry calcium chloride flakes and solution for my reef tank if that's helps

I'm really biased.  I would not have you move away from coco coir.  For me, it's the best media for a newbie grower, as long as you know it's limitations.  If you have it amended properly - or screened, as noted before - it's almost impossible to overwater it.
If you have a problem with water retention, removing media isn't really the answer.  If it were my plant, I'd be very tempted to do 2 things: 1) get it potted up into a taller container, 2) start bottom watering only.
In addition to that, my nutrient recommendation for growing in coco is CNS17 grow.  It's a complete 1-part.

Okay I'll have a look for a bigger pot, when I replant should I look for the larger chunks?

Josh40996 said:
Okay I'll have a look for a bigger pot, when I replant should I look for the larger chunks?

Just put it in a mix that has 30% perlite added, and you should be good to go. (I mean, get some perlite, and mix it in a 70/30 ratio with what you are already using - 70 what you have + 30 perlite)

Okay so I have gotten a bigger pot and added some perlite to the mix.

While I was digging through the compost for bigger chunks I noticed that there were lots of white balls below the surface in the bag. At first I thought it was perlite but it crumbled in my fingers, is this fertilizer?

When I was hydrating the compost I added as little water as I could, when should I begin watering again?

Josh40996 said:
Okay so I have gotten a bigger pot and added some perlite to the mix.

While I was digging through the compost for bigger chunks I noticed that there were lots of white balls below the surface in the bag. At first I thought it was perlite but it crumbled in my fingers, is this fertilizer?

When I was hydrating the compost I added as little water as I could, when should I begin watering again?

I don't know what that was.  No need to dig for bigger chunks.  Just scoop, add perlite, and put in pot.
No, don't water it again until it needs water.  Adding the dry mix with perlite will help displace and redistribute some of the saturation.
Sit back, and don't do anything else for now.

Okay, the big chunks broke up anyway once hydrated...

Here is an updated photo for future reference. Ill update in a few days if nothing else bad happens before then :rolleyes:

You know, it really doesn't look that bad.  I think you're gonna be fine, but start thinking about how you're going to feed the plant, now...  You will need some nutrients soon.
I disagree with others about the slow release.  You can use slow release with coco coir - especially if you are bottom watering. (done it - but still prefer liquid nutes)

Those little white balls you found are coated fertilizer pellets and by the looks of things they are doing an alright job. Now that your soil is drying out a little you can see your plant looks to have much nicer deeper green colour, letting it dry out will also force your plant to produce a nice large root system and once it becomes more established a lot of your over watering woes will quickly disappear. 

Is that a fixed halogen lamp or does it have a removable bulb. Replacing the bulb with a cheap 8-12w led or cfl bulb will produce the same or more light and let you get it much closer to the plant so less light is wasted. At this time of year even a bright windowsill would probably serve you quite well.

Here is that Rocoto that I started in coco coir.  It's not the greatest little plant that I've produced, but they tell me that Rocoto don't really like our climate.  I've had to keep it in partial all day shade, just to keep it growing.  But notice, the color, and see the amended coco coir.  I usually bottom water this one, but it doesn't require frequent waterings yet.

33721677646_656e9ed3ff_z.jpg

Back