• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Whats your favorite short/semi-short Pepper to grow

Spicy Mushroom said:
Of the varieties I am growing these are the ones from what I understand stay short/compact:

Caribbean Red
White Bullet Habanero
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Madame Jeanette

Possibly others. Also if anyone can correct me in thinking any of these are small/compact I would appreciate that.
The OP needs to define "short/semi-short" for a better discussion. If a Caribbean Red, MOA, and a Bahamian Goat are to be considered short, or semi-short, then there are probably tons more to pick from. Having said all that, the Aji Teapot Yellow is smaller than any of the five you've listed.

The Wild Brazil is a short and compact plant - both mine were 10-14" at the end of last year's grow.  Prolific producers of fiery hot small round golden yellow pods.  Fruity at first - kinda like a skittle - and then surprising heat for such a small pod.  Harvesting the plant can be a pita though; many many pods and short stature can be tough on your back.  

SmokenFire said:
The Wild Brazil is a short and compact plant - both mine were 10-14" at the end of last year's grow.  Prolific producers of fiery hot small round golden yellow pods.  Fruity at first - kinda like a skittle - and then surprising heat for such a small pod.  Harvesting the plant can be a pita though; many many pods and short stature can be tough on your back.  

I've been debating planting the wild brazil and the cumari on some corner pots that are mounted to my pergola and bbq fence. They are about chest high so should make picking easy. But they are also only about 1.5 gal of soil so that is a bit of a hindrance 

D3monic said:

I've been debating planting the wild brazil and the cumari on some corner pots that are mounted to my pergola and bbq fence. They are about chest high so should make picking easy. But they are also only about 1.5 gal of soil so that is a bit of a hindrance 

I'd feel comfortable putting a Wild Brazil into a pot that size.  At the end of the season my WBs were about 12" high and close to 2' wide.  Total yield from the plants were ~ 4 or 5 cups or so of peppers, but there were hundreds and hundreds of pods.  Kinda late to be getting them going, but if you would like some seeds let me know.

SmokenFire said:

I'd feel comfortable putting a Wild Brazil into a pot that size.  At the end of the season my WBs were about 12" high and close to 2' wide.  Total yield from the plants were ~ 4 or 5 cups or so of peppers, but there were hundreds and hundreds of pods.  Kinda late to be getting them going, but if you would like some seeds let me know.

I'm personally good on them, I have both reg wild brazil and orange wild brazil from ajijoe but thanks. I only grew one of the orange wild this year as I don't remember getting any pods off it last year because I planted them so late. 

Roguejim said:
The OP needs to define "short/semi-short" for a better discussion. If a Caribbean Red, MOA, and a Bahamian Goat are to be considered short, or semi-short, then there are probably tons more to pick from. Having said all that, the Aji Teapot Yellow is smaller than any of the five you've listed.
I guess if I had to define Short/semi short it would be under 3'...
I wasn't looking to find the shortest necessarily, just interested to,  hear others opinions on what they liked, I'd prefer to have more of my overwinters be  Shorter varieties this year, but (that's probably not going to happen)

I'm really liking all the suggestions, and hope people continue posting there favorite Short/Shorter Height peppers they grow
  :woohoo:   this topic is  :hot:
:dance:

I love me some Thai Sun chilis. Good taste, great aroma, and not too hot. (somewhere around 50,000 SHU) I just pop them in my mouth.

As soon as I read the OP, Caribbean red and wild Brazil came to mind. So I'll second Spicy Mushroom and SnF. Two great choices there.
     I grew my wild Brazil in a 5 gallon pot and it got to be about 2' tall and 2.5' across. I filled several pint mason jars with dried pods and I use them all the time. Dru's description of flavor and heat is spot on. I always equate them to spicy Fruity Pebbles. Great fruity chinense flavor. 
     CRs are  shorter than wild Brazils with a wider spread. They kind of grow like a prostrate juniper. Tough, super prolific plant and one of my favorite varieties for flavor (especially after fire roasting!). 

Back