• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

What's Your Thought on this Issue

So, I have a 90-day Jalapeño, onion, garlic, carrot ferment processing this morning.  Simmered 45 minutes and worked it into the blender.  My goofy VitaMix looks like it chopped up most of the seeds :doh:

I am worried the seeds will add bitterness to the sauce or annoying "hull" bits.My thought was to food mill it on extra fine or go from large to smallest disc to catch the seeds.  What is your advise?

tia,

Jim

The only reason I ever food mill is if the consistency is wwaaaayyyyyy ttttoooooo ttthhhhiiiccckkkk.

I keep seeds in. Shoot. I even keep the burnt skin from roasted items in. I don't skin those either.

You won't taste the bitterness of seeds etc unless there is a lot in there.

Just my .02.

I won't fourth.

I've had sauces that were gritty from ground up seeds. Never again. I food mill my sauces. Makes for a smoother sauce. The seeds don't add anything at all anyway. Why keep them. :confused:

Thanks everyone.  After processing it, I decided I really don't like Jalapeño hot sauce :rolleyes: .  I didn't do anything wrong with the mash/ferment from a recipe standpoint, but from the moment I opened it, I didn't care for it.  I love Jalapeño rings which I make many jars but to me, the Habañero or de Arbol/Piquin sauces I make are way better tasting.  I had extra Japs and decided to try a green sauce.  I think a tasty pepper is not the Jap. for bottled hot sauce.  I ended up tossing it.

I appreciate all the good advice.  Much appreciated.

I make a non fermented jalapeño sauce like yours and add some apples. It's one of my family and friends favorite sauces I make. I guess everyone has different likes and tastes in a sauce. 75% of the ingredients I use are jalapeño peppers in my sauce.

Back