• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds When do y'all normally start seeds?

Next year will my first year starting from seed, I already have some "grow lights", and plan on getting more if needed.  Want to have some decent sized plants to put out after first frost!  I'm from Missouri, so kind of following your guys advice that are from IL ;)

I try to wait until the beginning of March to start my super hot pepper seeds. Other things like tomatoes or jalapeños, I wait until the end of March or beginning of April. The key word is "try". I almost always start at least a few seeds way too early. 

President Trump said:
I try to wait until the beginning of March to start my super hot pepper seeds. Other things like tomatoes or jalapeños, I wait until the end of March or beginning of April. The key word is "try". I almost always start at least a few seeds way too early. 
By starting do you mean starting without "grow lights" or something?  Just curious as I'm still learning!

I really would like to start and have my plants growing before I put them out next season.  I want to get a jump start as I don't get much sunlight.  I plan on starting seeds at various times incase I'm too early or too late with specific seeds.  Going to grow in a closet under multiple 5000k-6500k CFL's.  Would like some 1ft+ tall bushy plants to put out after the last frost!  
I don't want to put out seedlings, I want plants that are already on their way to get the most for my effort since I already have 5 25w 5000k cfl's, and might online order another 1-3 higher powered cfl's.  I tend to my plants multiple times a day, so no problem to keep my lights less than a inch away ;)

Towlieee said:
By starting do you mean starting without "grow lights" or something?  Just curious as I'm still learning!

I really would like to start and have my plants growing before I put them out next season.  I want to get a jump start as I don't get much sunlight.  I plan on starting seeds at various times incase I'm too early or too late with specific seeds.  Going to grow in a closet under multiple 5000k-6500k CFL's.  Would like some 1ft+ tall bushy plants to put out after the last frost!  
I don't want to put out seedlings, I want plants that are already on their way to get the most for my effort since I already have 5 25w 5000k cfl's, and might online order another 1-3 higher powered cfl's.  I tend to my plants multiple times a day, so no problem to keep my lights less than a inch away ;)

I "start" or germinate,my seeds under a 4' fluorescent shop light. 

For 1ft tall bushy plants, I would say to start your seeds February 1. That will give you about 12 weeks until you plant them out. 

President Trump said:

I "start" or germinate,my seeds under a 4' fluorescent shop light. 

For 1ft tall bushy plants, I would say to start your seeds February 1. That will give you about 12 weeks until you plant them out. 
Thanks!

I'll probably start some a little earlier than that, and start more every 2-3 weeks so I know I'll have proper plants to put out! lol

I might end up getting a shop light, I like having all my CFL's in "clamp lights" so I can angle them all around my plants, depending on how much I grow I might end up with 2 or 4 4' shop lights and use my CFL's on the sides

Towlieee said:
Thanks!

I'll probably start some a little earlier than that, and start more every 2-3 weeks so I know I'll have proper plants to put out! lol

I might end up getting a shop light, I like having all my CFL's in "clamp lights" so I can angle them all around my plants, depending on how much I grow I might end up with 2 or 4 4' shop lights and use my CFL's on the sides

These are the shop lights that I use. They are the best value for my dollar that I can find. 
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-Linear-Shop-Light-Common-4-ft-Actual-4-65-in-x-47-91-in/4013483

It really matters where you live.  For me, it was not warm enough outside until about the middle to end of May.

I started  my super-hot Chinenses too late (end of March), but all the  other types were good.  

I used heating pads to keep the seeds and seedlings warm.  After the seedlings had leaves, I added a light with an xmas light timer.  This is the light system  I used with variable height as the seedling grow:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001XLSGQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

good luck!

Back