• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

When i take radioactive iodine, what about my chiliplants?

I will be taking radioactive iodine later this month. Then i can't be around small children for a week and i can't share bed with my wife for 3 days. Should i stay away from my small chiliplants some days, they are 1-3 months old, or wouldn't it have any effect on them? If i will be using seeds from them later, could it have effect on the plants seed production/quality?

Doubt it would have a negative effect on the plants but handling can contaminate them. I'd see if the wife or a friend can water them for the week.  I assume you're Nuking your thyroid. Sorry to hear that. 

I'd highly recommend you get another opinion before going forward with nuking your thyroid unless either a) you've become allergic to the anti-thryoid medication or b) your thyroid is so out of whack you truly have no alternatives. Doctors tend to like to do this for THEIR convenience, not yours. I don't know anyone who's had their thyroid nuked that has not regretted their decision. Doctors like to scare those with hyperthyroid - they'll tell you that the anti-thyroid isn't considered to be a long-term solution and that you can become allergic to it but don't give more info than that. Fact is you can take it much longer than the doctors will lead you to believe (including the rest of your life) and the risk of becoming allergic is in the 1-5% range. I will not get mine nuked unless I have no other alternative. Find a solid endocrinologist who is willing to discuss ALL your alternatives.

Listen to that Lady right there, she's done her homework. She's been advising me some as well, although I've been a terrible patient and just haven't been back to the doctor :rofl:

geeme said:
I'd highly recommend you get another opinion before going forward with nuking your thyroid unless either a) you've become allergic to the anti-thryoid medication or b) your thyroid is so out of whack you truly have no alternatives. Doctors tend to like to do this for THEIR convenience, not yours. I don't know anyone who's had their thyroid nuked that has not regretted their decision. Doctors like to scare those with hyperthyroid - they'll tell you that the anti-thyroid isn't considered to be a long-term solution and that you can become allergic to it but don't give more info than that. Fact is you can take it much longer than the doctors will lead you to believe (including the rest of your life) and the risk of becoming allergic is in the 1-5% range. I will not get mine nuked unless I have no other alternative. Find a solid endocrinologist who is willing to discuss ALL your alternatives.

I have used neo-mercazole (Tyreostatikum) in 7 years (on and off), heavy doses to start with, then after some time it looks ok and it can be ok for some time, but it allways go high again, it looks to be very hard to get the thyroid stable. I think its better to use levaxin /Levotyroksinnatrium the rest of my life. When my metabolism goes high my pulse goes high to, and i want to stable/lower my pulse since i also have a heart defects (aortic stenosis). But if you a link to some documentation that would tell me why not i would look at them to get more info, thanx.

pwb said:
... after some time it looks ok and it can be ok for some time, but it allways go high again, it looks to be very hard to get the thyroid stable. 

It's unlikely it will ever be 100% "stable" - if yours is like mine you take anti-thyroid for a period and, If your doctor is smart about it, he'll keep you on the anti-thyroid even beyond when he pushes you into the hypo-thyroid range for a while, then will gradually decrease until you're back in the normal range and it appears to have gone into remission. At that point the anti-thyroid is stopped until the period of remission ends, which can be years - no idea how long each time. Note that it is keeping you in the hypo-thyroid range for a period that seems to make the most difference in pushing it into remission. Simply stopping the anti-thyroid as soon as you get in the normal range or even as soon as you hit hypo is too soon.

Yes, if you aren't aware of some of the signs your heart will start beating too fast if you let the thyroid get too far out of whack again - just don't wait that long before you see the doc. To self-monitor while it's in remission, do three main things. First, watch for hair loss, second, do the shake test, and third, monitor your weight. Hair loss is, unfortunately, not a solid sign for men who are balding, but aside from that, the body shedding hair can be a sign of many imbalances, the thyroid being one of them. But it's often a good thing to get checked out if you start noticing that you're losing more than normal in the shower and/or in your hairbrush or comb. Yes, make a mental note of how much you lose on a regular basis. Your weight will start to go down regardless of how much you eat when your going into the hyperthyroid range again. This is a sure sign to go see your doc. But the shake test may be the earliest indicator and should be done frequently once you are in remission. Simply stand up with your feet roughly shoulder-width apart then hold your arms and hands straight out in front of you. If your thyroid is in the normal range (and you have no other neurological/medical issues going on) you should be able to hold your arms and hands still while fully extended. If your fingers tremble uncontrollably, even a little, go see your doc. When your fingers tremble just a little is a good time to see your doc because your thyroid likely isn't that far out of the normal range so you don't have to load up on anti-thyroid. Wait until your whole hands and/or arms tremble, and you've waited too long. 

Some or all of this may be stuff you already know, and sorry if it's repetition for you. But if you're doing a roller-coaster ride like it sounds, it seems likely that you are missing at least some of this info. You should be able to catch it before it goes way off kilter without a blood test, though your doc will rightly want a blood test to confirm. When you call the doc when these signs start to appear, be sure to tell whoever is scheduling the appointment that you are experiencing signs that you're going out of remission. They should schedule you in sooner if you tell them that - like within a couple days.

Like I said, seek a second opinion and get input from other patients when choosing who to get a second opinion from. I'm happy to share my doc's phone number if your doc would like to get some direct input and doesn't mind calling the U.S.

Back