• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

When reaching max root development

Hey guys, good day to you all. So my overwinter plants are looking ok, but they are not that tall as I imagined, I was wondering if I cut half the roots from the plant and put in some fresh soil on the bottom, will the plant grow larger since it will develop new roots? I have them in 5 gallon pots. Thank s

I have read that most people generally cut down the root ball when they cut down the top of the plant during the process of overwintering the plant. Then you put the plant into a smaller container while the plant is in it's dormant like state over the winter months. Then you can pot it up as normal when you want to let the plant grow again.

This is how I handled my plants when overwintering, and they were doing great until the cold and rain got to them earlier this month.

I have read that most people generally cut down the root ball when they cut down the top of the plant during the process of overwintering the plant. Then you put the plant into a smaller container while the plant is in it's dormant like state over the winter months. Then you can pot it up as normal when you want to let the plant grow again.

This is how I handled my plants when overwintering, and they were doing great until the cold and rain got to them earlier this month.

Great idea. Thank s

well my plants are still in containers, thats why I want to know if I should cut them down .
I was thinking you could slide the root ball partly out of the old container and get a picture. Some people leave the root ball intact and just pot up into a bigger container. I'm not an expert on container growing, but a lot depends on the condition of the roots.

For myself, the roots from my overwintered plants were not root bound, so I just potted up with fresh soil. The plants just now showing some life after that winter ordeal.

Good luck with yours! Let us know how it goes.... :cool:

Maybe I have this wrong but I thought that pruning back growth but leaving the roots encourages a plant to grow more - kinda like they realize they have all these roots but no growth and they start playing catch-up?

Maybe I have this wrong but I thought that pruning back growth but leaving the roots encourages a plant to grow more - kinda like they realize they have all these roots but no growth and they start playing catch-up?
Mr. Gas, that makes a lot of sense. My small collection of overwintered plants remained dormant until I re-potted them--and I left what little of the rootball I had intact. I probably could have speeded recovery by trimming the top at that time.

Back