• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

when should i expect to start seeing pods on my tabasco

HotPeppas

Banned
When do they usually start to produce? Im stoked to see this upward growth of how they grow up. And make homemade tabasco :)

i see plenty of soon to be flowers but man i need some pods!

Well i got to go check mine again :) water time

I grew them last year and growing them this year. Great choice in pepper. They are considerably hotter than the sauce. I wasn't ready for it when I ate it like a jellybean!!! Once they do pop some peppers, stand by for ALOT!!!!

wow thanks for that! Didnt expect them to be hotter than the sauce! Cool beans :) Yeah im ready. My tabasco is about 3' with a lot of side branching

Taste like the sauce, no. They are bitter and hot!! They taste good just nothing like the sauce. I absolutely love making the Rotel, Velveeta Cheese, and Spicy sausage mixture with a handful of Tabasco's minced up. Then grab some scooping or dipping chips, and yummmmm!!!!!!

It may not need to be said, but any pepper will taste hotter than the sauce that is made from it. The simple reason being that when in the sauce it is diluted with other ingredients making the amount of capsaicin by volume less. Of course there are exceptions, with sauces that have pepper extracts being the most notable one.

Edit: Sorry, that is totally off topic...

Reactions: nee
well im not aware if pepers go by height or age or daylight time to start throwing pods. I mean even temps can change the fruiting process

So i was just wondering a ETA :party:

[sup]Tabascos are awesome! The are great fresh, I like taking a bunch of them and squeezing the juices out onto a steak or some chicken or whatever. [/sup]

[sup]It's my favorite pizza topping too, dried = best dried pepper ever! You'll never use crushed red pepper again.[/sup]

[sup]Yea be patient, near the end of a grow season I was picking 100-200 peppers off a day![/sup]

it looked like this (the actual plant I mentioned) from August until November and I picked RIPE peppers off of it everyday
tabasco9-06.jpg

Back