• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds When to germinate superhot chili seeds

I know there is another thread up now "did I buy seeds too early?"... but its not exactly the same inquiry as this one.
I cant wait to get next season started and was wondering if you all could give me advice on when to start germination. I live in Kentucky (zone 6/7)... and would have them under florescent lights until may/june. This past season I started in late February and didnt have any ripe chilis until mid august. When would you all recommend germinating?

Also... must you plant super-hots in pots... or can they do well in a well-drained, aerated raised bed?

Starting your plants 3 or 4 months early is no problem, they will have a good head start. But, do you have enough space in your home to keep all those full sized plants until the last frost has passed? Keep that in mind. Things will get crowded about March and April. By May your house might look like a jungle if you are going to grow a large variety of peppers.

We're talking chinenses here, right?

Will they really reach full size under fluoros in that time? I figured they would be in Solo cups during that period. This will be my first year growing.

We're talking chinenses here, right?

Will they really reach full size under fluoros in that time? I figured they would be in Solo cups during that period. This will be my first year growing.

Seven months under good indoor conditions and lighting will product large plants. And if you are like most of the guys on here you will want to grow about 1000 plants, so I suggest buying a new larger house. ;)

im starting my superhot germ in 2 weeks...waited until january last year and that was a bit too late. start them in 6 inch pots and you should be good to go by spring

Yeah I have 50 varieties now so the problem really does become the logistical concern of space. But.... on the other hand, I am not going to start my tomatoes from seed this year to save indoor germination space for my new pepper hobby!

I started the super hots---the few I had--in December; and they were in 1 gal pots by march with 100 dollars of mini-bark chips and grow medium---then I put them out in the middle of March and the wind blew so hard it tore up the ground cover and stripped the leaves off all of the plants.

I am not starting them this year till later January and then plant them after April.

Seven months under good indoor conditions and lighting will product large plants. And if you are like most of the guys on here you will want to grow about 1000 plants, so I suggest buying a new larger house. ;)

I was assuming 16 weeks under dual 6500k fluoros, (not 7 months), and then into the ground.

I live in Nebraska and I'm going to be starting all my seeds next month. I used my dinning room as my growing area. I just hoping my pup will leave them alone. I'm going to start all my in solo cups and then move them into 1 gal. buckets before putting them outside. If I would of water my peppers 3 or 4 times a day last year I would of had a lot of pods.

Heck, I started some as soon as I pulled the outdoor plants out of the ground in late Sept/ early Oct. I am keeping a few plants growing over the winter and figured why not start tome new ones since I had extra room under the grow light.

Heck, I started some as soon as I pulled the outdoor plants out of the ground in late Sept/ early Oct. I am keeping a few plants growing over the winter and figured why not start tome new ones since I had extra room under the grow light.
Exactly where I find myself now, getting ready to start the Carolina Reaper, Jay's Ghost Scorpion and Red Brain Strain from seed. Hoping the 4 plants I am trying to overwinter hold up.

I couldn't stand it any longer, I started mine last Tuesday. I have a makeshift greenhouse that I could move mine out into if they get too big indoors (which I'm sure they will). I planted four each of 30 varieties. We'll see what happens. My other peppers outside are still turning pods. Hopefully we won't get any cold weather for awhile and they'll keep putting out.

Back