• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun When to Introduce to the Sunshine?

This is my first year growing peppers. I have several started (44) and they have their second set or more of leaves. I live in San Antonio, Texas and the weather has been sunny and in the 80's lately. I thought I'd take them all on a trip outside to se Mr Sun this past weekend. Thought it would be better than the artifical light. Looking at them yesterday afternoon, they started looking a little sad and on the yellow side. Some of the more "leggy" ones looked like they were getting a little top heavy. The soil still feels damp. I'm doing the two cup solo method and the outside cups are all dry. This morning I moved them all to the patio where they are in the shade. They seem to like it a littlw better and the "leggy" ones are starting to lift their heads a little.My question is, how much sun and when should they get it? Low temps at night are getting in the 50's and I'm leaving them out through the night. Also, the "leggy" guys, can I add some more soil to the cup to help the stand?

You can add more soil to the leggy guys or just transplant them deaper.

[SIZE=10.5pt]In order to give your plants the best chance of success it is best to ‘harden them off’ prior to leaving them outside full time. This is the process of slowly getting them used to the cooler temperatures and windy conditions outside. In Spring temperatures can fluctuate wildly with hot days followed by very cold nights and strong gusts of wind an ever present threat to delicate stems. Chilli plant seedlings can easily be killed or severely damaged by these fluctuations if used to a constant indoor temperature.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]To help the plants adapt slowly it is best to first simply open all windows and doors on your hose/greenhouse to allow a breeze to sweep through during the day or bring them out in the shade a little each day and then slowly in the sun. This should help them develop stronger stems as well as improving air circulation. If you are growing your seedlings indoors, under grow lights you can use a small fan (an old computer fan is ideal) to help create airflow and strengthen stems.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]After a week or so try moving the plants outside for a few hours during the middle of the day. Every 2 to 3 days leave them out a bit longer. Be sure to keep a careful check on the temperatures or wind forecast. If it looks like things may drastically change then play safe and leave the plants inside.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Assuming the weather holds you should be able to leave the plants out over night after 2-3 weeks. Again only do this once nighttime temperatures look to be consistently above 12 degrees. Until Summer arrives  be sure to keep one eye on the weather forecast in case there is a late frost. If the night time temperatures look too cold (single digits) then bring the plants back inside for the night or at very least cover them in fleece[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Hardening off you chilli plants is a key stage in their growth. Don’t do it and you could damage their growth or even worse lose you whole crop. Plants of all kinds hate sudden rapid environment changes so hardening off help them adapt to the transition of indoor to outdoor life.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Assuming your plants are fully hardened off and happy in their new home outside you’ll have a whole new set of things to worry about, mainly slugs & snails, aphids and various other pests that now have full access to your beloved chilli plants.[/SIZE]

Thanks for the advice Brain Strain Pepper Head. I will add a little more soil to the leaners and not leave them out so long at a time. Maybe let them take it easy in the shade at first before giving them the strong Southern Texas sun.

dash 2 said:
     Well put, BSPH. I'm guessing the temps you mentioned are in Celsius?
I don't think he's talking about temp in celsius. If that were the case then low 50s in celsius would be like 120s in fahrenheit.

Brain Strain Pepper Head said:
[SIZE=10.5pt] Again only do this once nighttime temperatures look to be consistently above 12 degrees. If the night time temperatures look too cold (single digits) then bring the plants back inside [/SIZE]

Lucifer said:
I don't think he's talking about temp in celsius. If that were the case then low 50s in celsius would be like 120s in fahrenheit.

I was referring to Brain Strain Pepper Head's post. I assumed the OP was using Fahrenheit. I hope. How hot is it in texas?! I wouldn't expect temps of 120F in February. (MAYbe in April…  ;) )

What if your indoor temps aren't stable? For example in our house, which isn't centrally heated, my grow area in an unheated attic storage area dips as low as 5-7c at night and my grow boxes are about 15c when the lights are on. My greenhouse up against a south facing window gets up to 20c when the sun is out, when it's not the ambient room temperature is between 10-15c.  For reference, outside temps have been dipping as low as -5c recently, though this usually its a couple of degrees "warmer".

Highs are looking like 75 to 85 F with Lows 57 to 59 F until Friday and then a cold wave hits ( ;)) with Highs 68 to 73 F with Lows 39 to 48. Going to hold the little guys in the house and mabye move them to outside a couple hours while its warm. They still can get some indirect light while they are inside. Hopefully after this week we start heading to warmer weather.

Brain Strain Pepper Head said:

Put them under some good lighting and give them some ventalation and heat

Hhmmmm...   don't really have the resources for lighting, heat or ventilation.
But I'll try my best with the limited resources I have.
Thanks for the tip.

Back