• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds When to move seedlings from starter kit?

After not growing anything last year I decided to re-dedicate myself to having another shot at growing from seed.Well...that and I'm out of pods for powder and flake.

I had two 7 pods sprout last week and was wondering when I should remove and transfer them to cups? Should I hold out for the second set of leaves?

Also, I could use a few tips on soil as I don't have Pro- Mix just yet. I have 14 different types in the 72 cube mini green house that I keep around 83 degrees night and day.

THX for any assistance.

harris

I like to use roots organic 707, but its 30 bucks here in my town for 3 cubic feet of it (runs abou the same for pro-mix) and depending what you started your seedlings. I start mine in rapid rooters and try
to get them in solo cups as soon as it sprouts and i can see the first set of leaves. but if you put them in the 72 cell with soil, you can probally leave them in there for a few weeks and be ok, but have to becaefully
the roots dont grow out the bottom. Also, there a hydro shop on here thats in decatar (not sure if that is close to atlanta) and he's a real good guy, its chris and its called alpha hydromponics. I am sure if you stop
by his store he would answer all your questions.

What are/were they in when they sprouted? Ideally once they sprout you get them air and light. I start my seeds in 3oz dixie cups in a closed container. Once they sprout they are placed under lights with a small fan blowing on them. When they get a couple/few true leaves they get moved into 20oz cups. When the plants get 10-12 inches tall and the roots are full the plants go into one gallon containers. When it's time to move them outside they go to their final pot, anywhere from five to 15 gallon.

What are/were they in when they sprouted? Ideally once they sprout you get them air and light. I start my seeds in 3oz dixie cups in a closed container. Once they sprout they are placed under lights with a small fan blowing on them. When they get a couple/few true leaves they get moved into 20oz cups. When the plants get 10-12 inches tall and the roots are full the plants go into one gallon containers. When it's time to move them outside they go to their final pot, anywhere from five to 15 gallon.

Patrick,

They sprouted in the 72 cell covered , heated tray they are still in. I have an LED array over top of them and that's on 24 /7 . Only one set of leaves (the original ones,name escapes me) . Do you think I should move them or leave them in the tray until the second set of leaves shows out. Only a week since they sprouted and they are about 1.5" tall.

THX

This is my first year growing but have gotten some great advice from this site on the same question you asked.
I had mine sprout in the same type of container but it was the 16 puck one. They got about 1.5 inches tall when I asked also. The advice I got was to get them into containers ASAP and under some lights with a fan. Best advice I got. When I transplanted I broke about half of the puck off, crumbled into the bottom of the pot and then planted the seedling. On those that i could I buried the stem almost to the leaves that you see now.
I transplanted them about a week ago and even had them outside during the day this past weekend. Over half of my seedlings now have started to get their first set of true leaves.
I started the 16 puck tray, another 15-20 in regular seedling starter soil and another 15 in a wet napkin. I have just over 50 plants if they all sprout

This is my first year growing but have gotten some great advice from this site on the same question you asked.
I had mine sprout in the same type of container but it was the 16 puck one. They got about 1.5 inches tall when I asked also. The advice I got was to get them into containers ASAP and under some lights with a fan. Best advice I got. When I transplanted I broke about half of the puck off, crumbled into the bottom of the pot and then planted the seedling. On those that i could I buried the stem almost to the leaves that you see now.
I transplanted them about a week ago and even had them outside during the day this past weekend. Over half of my seedlings now have started to get their first set of true leaves.
I started the 16 puck tray, another 15-20 in regular seedling starter soil and another 15 in a wet napkin. I have just over 50 plants if they all sprout

Thanks koskorgul...

I think I'll pull one and get it into a cup and I'll leave the other in the tray to see if it gets stronger. I have a small LED that I use on them and so far they are not getting leggy at all.

rock on

Not a problem but I can tell you that the overwhelming advice is to get them into cups ASAP, mine were close to 1.5" tall when I got them into regular pots. I broke about half the puck off put it into the bottom of the pot and buried as far up the stem as i could. Some made it to the leaves others were about half way up the stem, yah soome had gotten that tall. Since potting them I can see a diff in em. They look stronger, have started to get their first true leaves and over all look healthier. I was even able to bring one back from almost certain death. I had left it in the puck too long, over watered it. When I potted it the leaves started to curl up. That was a week ago. It is now doing much better, the leaves uncurled and it is actually getting it first true leaves also.

Good luck

After peat pellets I moved them into a 72 cell tray and then removed the cover. I waited for a decent root ball and 2nd set of leaves so I could remove it from the tray, then I put them in Dixie cups burring the stem up to the cotyledons. Make sure you drill out holes in your cups, I initially stabbed mine with a knife putting 6 or so slits in the sides not realizing that it still held water. Plus you can drill out a stack of cups in 2 seconds.

Back