• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

when to pick frutescens

I'm finally getting little ripe peppers. Now I'm wondering when I should pick them. It takes about 2 full days for a pepper to turn from green to orange/red. I've only picked one pepper so far and I waited till the 4th day to pick it. Is there a prime time to pick for maximum heat or wall thickness or flavor or any other thing?

I like the flavor at orange. I doubt you will see much difference in heat or weight unless you leave it way too long and it starts to shrivel.

I have found they are ready to pick 2 years, 3 months, 2 weeks and 4 days after originally planting, but that was just my Manzanos and a very high electric bill to over winter outside until ripe.

:rofl:

Ok not quite that long, but it felt that long and it was a high bill to keep the covered garden going until December up here in Pennsylvania.

Frutescens in general? (tobasco etc etc)

Eat them before they are ripe, and just as they ripen, wait a couple of days too long and they get mushy. Keep this in mind if you want to pickle the leftovers.

This is in my experience anyway.

Jetchuka said:
Frutescens in general? (tobasco etc etc)

Eat them before they are ripe, and just as they ripen, wait a couple of days too long and they get mushy. Keep this in mind if you want to pickle the leftovers.

This is in my experience anyway.
I agree - I think they're best right before they turn red. Mine turn mushy pretty much as soon as they change color.

I really depends on the variety.
Tabasco types tend to become mushy when fully ripe so most people prefer to pick it a bit earlier when still firm.
Some frutescens bird types otherwise can dry on the plant and fall off when you touch them.
Take samples at different maturation stage and decide which you prefer.

Cya

Datil

It appears to make a difference what kind they are. The peppers I have are siling labuyos. Hot little bastards. I've only picked one and it was orange. There's maybe 100 more on this plant and only 3 others at this time are ripening. I'll just pick them at different times and see what happens. They should turn red, right?

Back