• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds When to prick out seedlings?

I have a community pot of cayenne type peppers that I'll need to prick out soon and plant into grow pots. When is the best time to do it? With the seed leaves,or after the first real leaves form?

IMG_20120707_141030.jpg

With that many I'd do it right now, leave a few where they are to then slay all but the strongest. If you leave them too long, their roots will mingle and make the process more difficult and trying on the seedlings.

Seedlings that have just started tend to have a longer single root that is easy to transplant, while disturbing it can encourage more side roots to grow.

May want to change the title to "pick"

It's actually called "pricking" not "picking".. Damn dirty minded farmers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/propagation_pricking1.shtml

With that many I'd do it right now, leave a few where they are to then slay all but the strongest. If you leave them too long, their roots will mingle and make the process more difficult and trying on the seedlings.

Seedlings that have just started tend to have a longer single root that is easy to transplant, while disturbing it can encourage more side roots to grow.

yeah, these were old seeds that i was sure wouldn't germinate, so I just dumped them all in the pot. I really didn't expect to get more than a few plants at most...

when there are so many of them in one pot like that. I'd do it now, so it will be easier because their roots havent started developing yet, it will be much easier to take them out, and no worries of getting the roots tangled either!

I have a community pot of cayenne type peppers that I'll need to prick out soon and plant into grow pots. When is the best time to do it? With the seed leaves,or after the first real leaves form?

Before they sprout. ;) Definitely move as many as you can right away. I think I'd leave several closest to each other instead of trying to get every individual one. I find what works good sometimes is a grapefruit spoon, using it sort of like a little shovel to pull out a section of dirt around them.

Outta curiosity what would happen if you scooped under the roots,and then put them over a "filter",or something else that would help separate dirt/seedlings. I used the term filter VERY loosely...
Filter (chemistry), a device (usually a membrane or layer) that is designed to physically block certain objects or substances while letting others through. The last part more I guess. Now hear me out,And use a little imagination if you will..

Panning for gold method/over a frame/screen method: would this be to much water? Mess with roots?
Cloth Method: Get some type of cloth,or silk? Soak it,and put the clump of dirt/plants in the middle. Hold the two ends,with the dirt clump sagging below inside the wet cloth. Lifting gently,one at a time. Left,right,left right. Creating a rolling'ish but loosely removing the dirt ,and seedling clumps?

I know that some of you are more versed in gardening than others,and may have a better idea. This was just creative thought on my part. If these ideas are totally wrong,please let me know. I'm now curious if my ideas will work..lol

I did this very thing,just to see if anything would fruit. Jap's,Cayenne,bell's. The ole what would happen. So far they are all still in clumps.Varying 8"-24". With flowers on several,and One pod waiting to turn on the cay.

So another question. Plants grow clumped up in the wild.Why can't we do that with them? Would save space,among other things,no?
You can PM me,so that we dont hijack tgm's thread. Sorry Greenie!
Just thought I'd see if the two ideas above,worked for any?

^ Growing too many plants in a pot means they compete for nutrients and sun, so it takes each longer to reach maturity and you end up with less fruit.

Yes you could try to wash the soil away instead but the real question is among all these sprouts, how many cayenne plants are wanted? I'd be tempted to just split the batch into 4 chunks of soil, transplant three of those into new pots and leave the 4th there, then wait a few days to see which plants suffered the most shock and cut those out of the pot at that point, continuing to thin the herd by removal of the weakest members every few days.

On the other hand for cayenne that looks like what you've have after only 2 weeks from sewing the seed, might be as easy to just sew new seed in different pots given that in S. FL the growing season may be year-round,, especially if elevated temps in the US persist.

^ Growing too many plants in a pot means they compete for nutrients and sun, so it takes each longer to reach maturity and you end up with less fruit.

True,but like I said they grow like this in the wild.They being plants. In the wild you will see big,and small plants. I know we as gardener's try to mimic what mother nature does in the wild,as best we can.
Could you not foliar feed each plant to ensure each plant gets at least some nutes?
I can post pics,once the temps cool off tonight. I was going for the cluster bomb idea in this exp. LOL....hit em everywhere,may not get the best,but ill get some? haha
Just like in humans and plants.Only the strong survive!!! :)
again these are just MY thoughts. I'm def not an expert!

I also know,that most of you are going for one plant idea,for producing the best pods(clump vs spacing)...Again this idea was just an experiment on the side I did.

The deed is done, I just chunked them off in sections and made 10 pots of them, watered well, and placed in the shade. If they all live, I'll gift them to my neighbors....

I'll take a pic tomorrow after they have a chance to die. ;)

^^ In the wild one doesn't have maximum fruit production. We don't actually want to do what mother nature does in the wild, that would include disease, damaging wind, drought, being eaten by animals or insects, etc. If the wild worked we'd just direct seed in the dirt and forget about them for a few months. I suppose my point is these peppers would already be growing wild everywhere as a dominant indigenous species and would not need started by humans if it weren't for factors in the particular environment that are sub-optimal.

There's a reason people don't grow a large # of plants in a small pot, it doesn't work as well except where the yield is the leaves themselves as with herbs or similar. It may not seem to make a large difference at first but as they grow larger and larger it matters more and more.

It's not just about nutrient feeding, they will have overlapping leaves and all grow slower, putting energy into leaves that don't receive as much sun since they overlap, and wasting more energy on tall stems trying to complete with the other plants around them for more sun, ultimately setting out fewer blooms later and splitting nodes for new pepper sites slower.

^^ In the wild one doesn't have maximum fruit production. We don't actually want to do what mother nature does in the wild, that would include disease, damaging wind, drought, being eaten by animals or insects, etc. If the wild worked we'd just direct seed in the dirt and forget about them for a few months. I suppose my point is these peppers would already be growing wild everywhere as a dominant indigenous species and would not need started by humans if it weren't for factors in the particular environment that are sub-optimal.

There's a reason people don't grow a large # of plants in a small pot, it doesn't work as well except where the yield is the leaves themselves as with herbs or similar. It may not seem to make a large difference at first but as they grow larger and larger it matters more and more.

It's not just about nutrient feeding, they will have overlapping leaves and all grow slower, putting energy into leaves that don't receive as much sun since they overlap, and wasting more energy on tall stems trying to complete with the other plants around them for more sun, ultimately setting out fewer blooms later and splitting nodes for new pepper sites slower.

Thanks for your response!!! It's a great point,and what I needed to hear.
Could you pluck leaves(yes this would be a pain) in order to create spacing for the leaves. Like make a certain pattern on each to effectively space the leaves around one another,but still enough for planet to process the light?

Plucking leaves would just make some grow even slower, might as well just cut those off at the steam instead, thinning out the pot till only a few of the largest have space between them then wait to see which needs to be removed next and so on till there's one plant left... by then it'll likely have a 2nd or 3rd set of leaves.

I guess that's really over time what I ended up doing....
Here are some pics of .... "lets see what happens if you plant a bunch of seeds in the ground"

Top view of one area of the garden:
7539719048_d184502f87_b.jpg

Here's a cayenne waiting to turn

7539718694_2cc715e841_b.jpg

Now I didn't do this will all,just this area,like I said just to see what happens LOL
Crappy quality,not enough detail,but you get the point:)
Me being new,I usually like to see,hold,touch,and experience whatever it is. Yes I can read all day,and night.For me personally it's the hands on approach that helps me retain,and maintain.

Keep us updated how it works out greenie!!!

oh and anyone feel free to bring up anything wrong(ie examples of what you were trying to bring up?) with these pics. I know with a trained eye you could prob pic apart what,and why this hurts the plant,with the picture examples...Or should I say,the trained eye could Prick apart the pictures LOL

Thanks again for the replies!

sorry again greenie :(

I guess that's really over time what I ended up doing....
Here are some pics of .... "lets see what happens if you plant a bunch of seeds in the ground"

Top view of one area of the garden:
7539719048_d184502f87_b.jpg

Here's a cayenne waiting to turn

7539718694_2cc715e841_b.jpg

Now I didn't do this will all,just this area,like I said just to see what happens LOL
Crappy quality,not enough detail,but you get the point:)
Me being new,I usually like to see,hold,touch,and experience whatever it is. Yes I can read all day,and night.For me personally it's the hands on approach that helps me retain,and maintain.

Keep us updated how it works out greenie!!!

Wow, that looks like the richest soil I've ever seen. We've got nothing but limestone and sand around these parts.

haha I doubt that! This is basically whatever the dirt was,plus 3 bags of vigro soil. Which 3 days after I put the dirt out, it washed away in the damn crazy storm we had about 2 mts ago.Might have been 3 mts,but ya about 85% washed away into the lawn:(

Now it has a bunch a crap in it from the last two days,where we've had calm winds most of the day,and then bam Hollywood set of the movie Twister. Really odd..

I like the plant clusters. I do that as well but I usually space them about twice as far apart. I think it helps them be much more resistant to wind damage without having to tie them up to stakes.

Good looking plants!

Back