• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

When to puree, or food mill?

SmokenFire said:

Most of that depends on what size screen used when milling the food; larger holes allow more to pass through, smaller holes allow less.  I use all three screens of my food mill for various sauces, though the largest screen can allow small seeds through.  When the medium screen is used almost all the pepper flesh is pushed through and only skin and seed is left behind.
Good info so it sounds like I will be using the med size most of the time unless I'm looking for a tabasco type consistency.

One thing I noticed about the small screen. It will be very watery UNLESS you scrape the bottom side of the screen. The fine pulp that does pass through the fine screen tends to hang from the bottom of the screen. It passed through, but didnt actually fall into the sauce (and there was a substantial amount). So on the last few batches I took a rubber spatula and gently scraped that pulp off the screen. It added just enough texture to the sauce while keeping it mostly runny.

Siouxzn said:
One thing I noticed about the small screen. It will be very watery UNLESS you scrape the bottom side of the screen. The fine pulp that does pass through the fine screen tends to hang from the bottom of the screen. It passed through, but didnt actually fall into the sauce (and there was a substantial amount). So on the last few batches I took a rubber spatula and gently scraped that pulp off the screen. It added just enough texture to the sauce while keeping it mostly runny.

THIS!!! I forgot to mention it - excellent addition to the thread Siouxzn!  That's gold underneath there!!

Back