• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

When to start feeding?

I planted a bunch of seeds in peat pellets, but unfortunately only 3 came up. Those 3, a serrano, an aji habanero, and a yellow 7 pot, are now in soil. All still have their cotelydons, though you can see the first set of true leaves beginning to form. When do you all usually wait to start fertilizing?

I usually wait until they have six true leaves, then add a little fertilizer, something light that wont burn the roots, like compost tea.

What type of soil did you plant them in?

Potting soil or regular top soil. ect

It may make a difference some potting soils have a good starter built in already, if not I agree with SS

Topic: Lesson Learned, in Growing Hot Peppers.

In MY experience, when I feed MY plants that young, with a 1/4 mixture or less, they die. My plants have their 5th trues now, and I JUST started feeding them today.

I know the temptation is there, potting soil is enough for now, if you had 100 you could try a couple and see what happens but with just 3 of your babies, I think the safe then sorry rule applies

Have you ever sat down and stired at them trying to catch them growing in front your eye's? Thats when you know your addited! Have fun keep us up to date.

Cheers, SC

Spicy Chicken nailed it... there is a definite temptation to start feeding so I can see them grow, grow, grow. I'll be patient, though.

Thanks all.

Back