• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

when to start them(kids) out

AlabamaJack said:
Armadillo, have you ever heard anything about capsaicin retarding development in children?...I can't remember where I read it or what development it was retarding.

It apparently can cause retardation in adults. For more info I direct yall to Passow :lol:

you guys kill me...roflmao..

just throwing my 2 cents in, I wouldn't give any hot chile to any kid under 6 yr old. mild one's w/o any heat or very little sure.

I have an 8 year old who handles my hot curries pretty well. He complains but likes to make a big deal and run around the house like a nut after eating some. He's not into trying the hot peppers themselves too much. He has taken bits of the Indian Byadagi and Sanam chilis though but not much. I let him at his pace. I don't want to turn him off to it. He can handle stuff that would make the average kid cry - that would make the average adult complain and go for the nearest liquid. Not too shabby!

I don't have any kids (that I know of) and I am no expert, but I guess the best way to get them to eat chiles is to tell them they can't have any. Just think of all the parents who struggle to get their kids to eat their vegetables and the kids who refuse just because they can refuse:)

MrArboc said:
I don't have any kids (that I know of) and I am no expert, but I guess the best way to get them to eat chiles is to tell them they can't have any.

Ha!

Nail..hammer..head

Both my kids (and even my wife) like to sprinkle my dehydrated ground up mixed peppers into whatever they're eating...and even some of the sauces I always have in the fridge. I've never pushed anything at them; they've just always been there and eventually curiosity got the better of them. My daughter (who's 19 now) goes lightly and usually keeps things mild, but my 15 year old son goes right for the ground up 7 pod. He sprinkles it liberally over his pizza. He surprised me when he started doing that. I mean, it has taken me years...even decades to get to that level of heat, and here he is a novice starting with it.

I suggest all foods should be introduced to kids so they grow up enjoying all kinds of stuff and peppers should be in there as well.

A small amount of a jalapeno in a sauce is a good way to start

i don't know both my daughter and nephew would salsa at 2 years at the table with me nothing real hot though. as a kid the neighborhood i grew up in we were given bell peppers and gradually given hot peppers like Pepperoncini (banana peppers) and so on we were 5. we all grew up to love peppers. although we are also all retarded :)

Back