• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

When Will It End???

I know there are a few fellow brits knocking about on this fine forum, we are generally the ones straining our sun deprived eyes at the harsh glare of the monitor, trying to get our useless frost bitten fingers to type out a post, more as a means of keeping warm than anything else. Well ok, it's not that bad, in fact today its pretty hot and very humid and I was just wondering how much longer my plants have got until we are plunged once again into perpetual winter and the season is well and truly over.

As this is my first proper year I have no past experience to refer to, so my question, to any UK grower or anyone growing in a similar climate to the south east of England, when would you consider the growing season to be over?

Cheers

Matt

I can not say when your season is over but I can help though. Look up your "zone" for example I am in zone 5b and my season is over in october1-15. That should get you a better understanding of your specific climate.

Cheers!!

Figure the season is pretty much over the first days it gets below freezing (Pepper plants are very susceptible to frost and will pretty much die off once they freeze) -- that said with the proper lighting bringing them inside where it stays above freezing they will continue to grow year round - so if you want to extend your season get some 5 - 7 gallon buckets to put your plants in and bring them indoors before it freezes.

You can grow indoors yr around with the proper items. proper indoor light or lights, isolating fans, and a large grow tent. Growing outside when its nice and sunny is a bonus we call summer. This IS also what I do and it works great! Only downfall is if you grow yr around there is more potential for threats we call pests! Although pests usually strike during summer any how. Good luck with your grow!

Pests can definitely be an issue. Any I bring in, have to stay in the garage not the house because there's always some outbreak of whiteflies or aphids with no natural predators and by the time I see them they have spred to other indoor house plants. Some people hose their plants down or spray with soap solution or pesticides but since I don't really have room inside for them either, I just finish up the season's ripening fruit in the garage.

Hey man I live in the southeast too and find things still going October November in the greenhouse (more end of October) in the greenhouse but as its un heated I bring some in to finish off. Weather here is random at best man I always start early under lights indoors sometimes starting chillis in December but found best time is middle to end of jan as plants get a bit too big for my indoor space. Pictures up hopefully by the weekend in my glog as I already have a 7 pod Primo with loads of pods has to be the best chilli I have grown production wise and seems really suited to our climate. Good luck with your grow this year and can't wait to see some pictures!

I feel your pain Matt :(

I just looked at the 10 day forecast for Kent, and apart from next Monday when it's meant to be sunny, the other 9 days are rain, and top temps of 15 or 16. :rolleyes:

I can not say when your season is over but I can help though. Look up your "zone" for example I am in zone 5b and my season is over in october1-15. That should get you a better understanding of your specific climate.

Cheers!!

Great idea, cheers Cap

I would love to grow indoors but haven't really got the space and/or money, also about half my plants are in a raised bed so they're staying put.
Hey man I live in the southeast too and find things still going October November in the greenhouse (more end of October) in the greenhouse but as its un heated I bring some in to finish off. Weather here is random at best man I always start early under lights indoors sometimes starting chillis in December but found best time is middle to end of jan as plants get a bit too big for my indoor space. Pictures up hopefully by the weekend in my glog as I already have a 7 pod Primo with loads of pods has to be the best chilli I have grown production wise and seems really suited to our climate. Good luck with your grow this year and can't wait to see some pictures!

That's fantastic, end of October? Really makes me wish I had a greenhouse :pray:. I've been looking into getting a poly tunnel that's big enough to encompass my 6ftx6ft raised bed but they're pretty pricey so it might have to wait until Christmas. I've also been looking for some inspiration regarding next years grow, the Primo sounds absolutely ideal. I'll be getting some pics up eventually for sure, just hope it's not photographic evidence of epic failage :oops: ... :party: .

I feel your pain Matt :(

I just looked at the 10 day forecast for Kent, and apart from next Monday when it's meant to be sunny, the other 9 days are rain, and top temps of 15 or 16. :rolleyes:

Thanks nee, that's been about the run of it, generally low temps and rain (although alot better than the deluge we had in the last couple of weeks). I've noticed they seem to be getting the forecast wrong more often than usual over the last few days (predicting rain that doesn't come and vice versa), so what I like to think is that really we've got 32C glorious unbroken sunshine that will continue into September and the forecasters have just got it wrong, very....very wrong! :lol:

Don`t lie Neil. :party:

Mezo.

And you....nobody likes a smug Aussie ;). Think of all the beautiful oppressive dark clouds you're missing out on living in Oz, who wants an idealically stable climate that is not only wonderful for humans but fantastic for plants, an Eden on Earth where all your climactic needs are met in abundance and the land is bathed in an ever lasting, rhapsody of Summer which goes on and on and on, when you can have clouds? Day after day of.... of clouds! (Goes to shed and hangs self from favourite strawberry plant)!!!

who wants an idealically stable climate that is not only wonderful for humans but fantastic for plants, an Eden on Earth where all your climactic needs are met in abundance and the land is bathed in an ever lasting, rhapsody of Summer which goes on and on and on, when you can have clouds? Day after day of.... of clouds!

Hey, if it makes you feel slightly better, it got down to 1 degree here in VIC this morning... :(

But thankfully the sun broke through to give 13 or 14 during the day....

Hey, if it makes you feel slightly better, it got down to 1 degree here in VIC this morning... :(

But thankfully the sun broke through to give 13 or 14 during the day....

Crikey I had no idea it could get that brisk anywhere in Australia (even in Victoria)! I bet its hard to be too down even on the coldest most overcast day in Oz though. Just googled the geelong botanical gardens, phew!!! Outstanding! My local park has the occasional gaggle of wild tramps and the odd perennial crack junky but other than that it doesn't compete at all :P

Matt,

Last year when it was time for our first frost I dug up 2 Bhuts, some Scorpions, etc. and brought them inside. They were loaded with full-sized green pods, and I hated to see them get bitten by frost. It took about 3 weeks for them to turn red, but eventually about all of them did turn. Then I cut them way back and stuffed them into smaller pots and overwintered them.

Cheers, Tom

Matt,

Last year when it was time for our first frost I dug up 2 Bhuts, some Scorpions, etc. and brought them inside. They were loaded with full-sized green pods, and I hated to see them get bitten by frost. It took about 3 weeks for them to turn red, but eventually about all of them did turn. Then I cut them way back and stuffed them into smaller pots and overwintered them.

Cheers, Tom

Hi Tom, I may have to consider doing something similar with some of my scorps and habs, I could just carefully dig them out of the raised bed and get them into some pots, that is, of course, if there are any pods at all to ripen :pray: . My yellow habs are only just starting to form their first tiny flower buds and the scorpions don't even have buds at all! I guess it will come down to what the weather decides to do, I'm praying that we get an indian summer this year then hopefully they'll have enough time to produce a few decent pods.

when would you consider the growing season to be over?
It's hardly started in the Midlands, so much dull skies and rain. Im sure I heard from the news that an indian summer is likely around september but still I don't think that would be enough.

Mother nature doesn't seem to be in a good mood in the UK this year... again.
Yesterday was added proof when she took it upon herself to do a wrecking spree, attacking my car and greenhouse with golfball sized jagged hail. Other households were harmed in this incident.
1.jpg

It's hardly started in the Midlands, so much dull skies and rain. Im sure I heard from the news that an indian summer is likely around september but still I don't think that would be enough.

Mother nature doesn't seem to be in a good mood in the UK this year... again.
Yesterday was added proof when she took it upon herself to do a wrecking spree, attacking my car and greenhouse with golfball sized jagged hail. Other households were harmed in this incident.
1.jpg

Whereabouts in the Midlands are you Smiffler? (If you don't mind my asking), the weathers been utter B*ll*cks so far down here to mate. Luckily no hail but plenty of rain and cloud, low temps and high winds.

I've been looking into getting a poly tunnel that's big enough to encompass my 6ftx6ft raised bed but they're pretty pricey so it might have to wait until Christmas.

you can build one PVC and Visquene a whole lot cheaper than you can buy one...and the hail won't damage it

I'm from North Leicestershire.

At the time of that weird hail, which lasted about 2 mins, the temperature was ~24C and we needed the house lights on at 1.30pm. Crazy weather, never seen it like that before, nor had my 90yrs young neighbour.

you can build one PVC and Visquene a whole lot cheaper than you can buy one...and the hail won't damage it

I was looking into doing something like that AJ, might have to wait until I've got a spare evening, and even though its much cheaper than buying one I'll have to wait a bit for any disposable income, something to mull over though for the time being.

I'm from North Leicestershire.

At the time of that weird hail, which lasted about 2 mins, the temperature was ~24C and we needed the house lights on at 1.30pm. Crazy weather, never seen it like that before, nor had my 90yrs young neighbour.

I've never heard anything like it, but I can definitely believe it, I think the weather in the South East has been the least bizarre in the country but having said that its been no picnic

Back