• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

when you want to move across the lake

WOW!!!! It blows my mind that house moving can be done normally, but that took the cake (which is a hard feet to do considering, "There is no cake").

the video is up now.

several years ago a company moved a ? monster granite mansion or a theater in downtown twin cities - I forget what they moved but it was HUGE!! & it took alot of planning to move the building (the downtown building)
it'd be nice to get that video footage to show ya, I would just need to remember what the heck they moved (name) to start searching for it.

That is cool -- but I wonder is it worth the expense of moving the house as opposed to building an up-to-date replica?

LUCKYDOG said:
That is cool -- but I wonder is it worth the expense of moving the house as opposed to building an up-to-date replica?

It seems they will usually move it if the house is of historical significance, which is usually much cheaper than building one from scratch.

Sickmont said:
They moved a good sized house by barge here a few years ago. It was kind of funny sitting on a beach watching a house go by.....

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2007/9/27/290928.html

thats cool, it'd take more work moving a house on a barge, but the risk's are much higher when traveling across ice.
the reason being you can plan accordingly for a barge (though more work!) & ice it's kinda a gamble - will it hold up or not? - you can use all your math ya want, it still comes down to, it's ice! & shit can happen! like the mover said "the other time the house fell through" (not his words)

LUCKYDOG said:

it all depends on how far you're moving the house.
if moving is not far then, yes! it can be a better deal vs building new. though it also depends on what needs to be done to the old home to make it appealing & up to code (if it need's to be ?)
moving homes is nothing new in this state, there's people that buy home's to move & there's mover's that buy home's & place the home's in fields until people buy them.

those that buy them update them &/or add onto the old home.

though I find all older home's un-appealing cuz of the layout & the room sizes. though they were built better than whats being built nowadays! - to a point cuz there was also some hillbilly building going on back in the day ;)
nowadays the home's are rotting from the inside out!!! while older homes didn't have this problem except their heating/cooling cost's were on the high end.
if you build new in this state your best bet is to sell it within 10 years or less cuz of our building codes, or be stuck with a heafty bill cuz of mold! unless if the home was built with "builtrite" you might get lucky to avoid the mold.

It just seems it would be more expensive. I mean you buy the house and then the land your putting it on then move it. I suppose if they are razing the house then you could probably get it cheap or free (?) but over all it seems like it would be a major PIA -- especially if you have cracks or other issues in transport.. Im not pissing on anyones Cheerios.. I just dont know that much about it to justify it. I've seen a few done in CT I just cant quantify it .... yet

LUCKYDOG said:
It just seems it would be more expensive. I mean you buy the house and then the land your putting it on then move it. I suppose if they are razing the house then you could probably get it cheap or free (?) but over all it seems like it would be a major PIA -- especially if you have cracks or other issues in transport.. Im not pissing on anyones Cheerios.. I just dont know that much about it to justify it. I've seen a few done in CT I just cant quantify it .... yet

The big way it goes down here is say for instance somebody owns some land already, and a developer buys a lot that a historic house is on. Then theres a major public uproar over the possible razing of said historic house for the development of condos, and then afetr many public meetings the landowner comes forward with an offer to save said historic house. After a bunch of back and forth meetings the developer and the aforementioned land owner make some sort of an agreement where the house is sold for oh, say a dollar but it has to be moved off the developers newly purchased land. And then after lots and lots of fanfare the house is moved and everybody's happy.

I don't know why, but this thread reminds me of the George Carlin routine...somthing like "the older you get, the more "stuff" you gotta take with you"

Back