• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Where can I get Pro-Mix BX?

I've looked at the big places like Lowe's, Menards, Home Depot, etc. Also tried a couple greenhouse type stores in the area. I cannot seem to find any soil which I deem acceptable for my plants! It's like everything they sell is the lowest grade. I've been looking to possibly order it online but the shipping is pretty outrageous. The best deal I found was $17 for a 3.0 Cubic foot bag where the shipping is $28. Not exactly a bargain at all.

I am starting to think it's just not going to happen. Can anyone recommend some more widely available soil that is up to the quality of Pro-Mix? Or possibly an online vendor that has reasonable shipping?

I got mine at a bird seed store. They sell all kind of pet stuff, too.
maybe if you have a farm supply store near you, check there.
Also, try Ace Hardware. The store near me doesn't carry it, but they said they could order a few bags in.

Skydiver said:
I got mine at a bird seed store. They sell all kind of pet stuff, too.
maybe if you have a farm supply store near you, check there.
Also, try Ace Hardware. The store near me doesn't carry it, but they said they could order a few bags in.

I did try calling a couple Ace Hardware stores around here but both of them said they could not order it. Argh, it's frustrating me!

See if you can find lamberts or fafard mixes, they are usually very good. You can also make your own soiless mixture with peat, vermiculite, perlite, lime....

POTAWIE said:
See if you can find lamberts or fafard mixes, they are usually very good. You can also make your own soiless mixture with peat, vermiculite, perlite, lime....

This is starting to sound like my best bet. The only thing they seem to be selling around here is Miracle-Gro... Do you have a good resource for a good blend for chiles that includes weights of each?

edit: Nevermind, I just found the soil sticky.

edit #2: on secondhand that is a lot of info to take. What mix would be a good one specifically for chiles?

There's a lot of places online that carry it and all kinds of different soils and supplies, here is one I've been told is great: http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/ I would say online is probably your best option if you cant find it locally, but if you dont feel like paying for shipping etc then making your own is the best option.

Straticus said:
There's a lot of places online that carry it and all kinds of different soils and supplies, here is one I've been told is great: http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/ I would say online is probably your best option if you cant find it locally, but if you dont feel like paying for shipping etc then making your own is the best option.

I did see it on there, but shipping costs $200...

WOW I never checked out shipping, but find it unbelievable it would cost that much, incredible.

Thats gotta be a mistake, I just did pro-mix to myself and the shipping cost was $5.00... via Federal Express Ground..

Straticus said:
WOW I never checked out shipping, but find it unbelievable it would cost that much, incredible.

Thats gotta be a mistake, I just did pro-mix to myself and the shipping cost was $5.00... via Federal Express Ground..

Here's what it said:

"Important Shipping Information: Due to size and weight of your order, this product will ship via Common Carrier. During the order process, you will be given a choice -- Do not choose the ground parcel service. This product must be shipped by motor freight."

Motor freight on there is $200. Absolutely ridiculous.

The cheapest I've found is $63.41 with shipping on Home Harvest Garden Supply and $63.29 from an eBay seller. Is the Pro-Mix worth spending that much, this is for a 3.8 CU ft bale?

You must be buying a good amount of the Pro-Mix then? As in more then 1 bale? Just $200 for one bale seems absurd. I mean that price is up to you, personally I'd rather spend half and buy my own mix and do it myself.

Straticus said:
You must be buying a good amount of the Pro-Mix then? As in more then 1 bale? Just $200 for one bale seems absurd. I mean that price is up to you, personally I'd rather spend half and buy my own mix and do it myself.

No those prices were all just for one bale. Definitely not what I'm gonna pay. I might go up to $40-50 at most with shipping.

Roadhouse,

Go to Premier Horticulture's home page: http://www.premierhorticulture.com/eProMix/index.htm
Next click on the Consumer Web link. You should then see a graphic link on the right of the screen. The link changes every second or so, but when you see the words "Where to buy PRO-MIX" come up click on the link. It takes you to the retailer search engine. You then simply type in your zip code and it give you all the retailers which sell Pro-Mix within a 100 mile radius. I typed in a random zip code from Indianapolis for you and the results are below. You get the idea. Good luck! I love Pro-Mix...great stuff.

HABIG GARDEN SHOPPE
15311 U.S. 31 NORTH
CARMEL IN
(317) 896-2828
5 Miles*

BENNETT'S GREENHOUSES INC.
3651 MCCARTY LANE
LAFAYETTE IN
(765) 447-7636
50 Miles*

RAMERS GREENHOUSE
5962 N. OLD US HWY 31
ROCHESTER IN
(574) 223-3751
80 Miles*

INTERNATIONAL GREENHOUSE CO.
1644 GEORGETOWN ROAD
DANVILLE IL
(217) 443-0600
81 Miles*

RAHN GREENHOUSES
4944 GRAY ROAD
CINCINNATI OH
(513) 253-3566 JOE RAHN
100 Miles*

Page 1 of 1

* The approximate number of miles/kilometers refers to the distance between the range of the zip/postal code entered and the zip/postal code of the retailer (eg: if the zip/postal code entered and the zip/postal code of the retailer are in the same range, the approximate distance will be 0 miles/kilometers).

if the above don't work for you. try pro-mix web site they have a store locater type in zip code and read for dealers for your area. have a good day Alex

Premiere horticulture is the manufacturere for Pro-Mix and the above link takes you to the retail store locator. But, be careful. Follow the directions above because there is also a distributor's locator page which will show you distributor locations, but you can only buy from them if you have a license.

roadhouse said:
edit #2: on secondhand that is a lot of info to take. What mix would be a good one specifically for chiles?

This question hasn't been answered that I can see as so much information has been given regarding Pro-Mix.

Is there a DIY soil mix recipe for chiles that has proportions for peat, dirt, vermiculite, compost, lime, etc?

Thanks for the bump on that salsalady. It's becoming more evident that something like Pro-Mix isn't going to happen for me, the nearest retailer is about an hour and a half away and I don't feel like making that trek just for that.

Can someone please help us out on this, a great mix just for chiles?

I don't know exact proportions but I usually add about: 2 parts peat, 1 part manure or compost, 1/2- 1 part perlite, and a small scoop(read directions on particular package) of dolomitic lime. Sometimes I'll add vermiculite too but its often quite pricey
I add all parts in a cement mixer and mix thouroughly but in smaller quantities you can just mix it in a bin

I mix old peat, new peat, compost, lime, and perlite together on a tarp with a rake upside down. You can keep lifting the corners to throw dirt back to the middle, I can do about 50 containers at a time.

cement mixer! YEA! our neighbor has one and since they've had our chopsaw for about a year, I think it's time for payback. :)

Back