• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

heat Where did all the heat go: playing with fire (capsaicin extract)

I ended up making my first hot sauce the other day, and i don't understand where all the heat went.

Ingredient used.
Tomato Sauce
Ketchup
Red Wine
Brown Sugar
vinegar
salt(kosher)
pepper
onion
cayenne pepper
habanaro pepper
mustard powder
worcheshire sauce
soy sauce
beef oxo
liquid smoke
(made 700ml)
i combined these ingredients and let it simmer for about an hour to get all the flavors mixed up. Then i made 2 ounces of extract solution using two whole vials order from www.chileseeds.co.uk i warmed up some whisky in the microwave then dissolved the extract into the hot liquid dipped a prong of a fork into it gave it a lick. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!! i'v had some of blair's hot sauces and this kicked the pants off anything iv ever touched.

poured in the solution to the sauce. let it continue to cook for about 30 minutes. tried some. and no heat, well there was a little hot like watered down franks hot sauce.

where did all the heat go from the extract added? did it get cooked off, did i not activate it properly? i just don't understand why theres no heat. 2 ounces of that solution into only 700ml. My O ring should be glowing red hot.

NOTE: I have added a little water to change the viscosity its a little thick, and has been sitting for a few days and can notice the temperature is slightly increasing.

where did all the heat go from the extract added? did it get cooked off, did i not activate it properly?

I've cooked with pure cap a few times now and the key is to add it in at the very end of the process. When the pure cap is dissolved into any spirit it will simply boil off along with the alcohol, or it will turn back into crystalline form and sit in your sauce, adding no heat.

Just my 2 cents,

-Peter

I've cooked with pure cap a few times now and the key is to add it in at the very end of the process. When the pure cap is dissolved into any spirit it will simply boil off along with the alcohol, or it will turn back into crystalline form and sit in your sauce, adding no heat.

Just my 2 cents,

-Peter

Thats kind of what i was thinking, maybe ill add a little alcahol to the bottle and shake it up and see if it comes back to life.

Back