• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Where have all the Ladybirds gone?

Hi all,

I'm in Norfolk UK and I havent seen a single Ladybird (Ladybug) this year. As I rely on this helpful creatures for aphid control this is a nuisance to say the least and a little bit worrying.

Has anyone else (including other countries) noticed the same thing?

Adam

Found three larve last week and placed them on a tomoto plant that had been plagued by aphids.

Hi Adam, I was noticing the same thing a few weeks ago. Last year there were hundreds of them on a particular tree in my garden, this year, no sign. Hope we're not about to discover they're heading the same way as the humble bee 

Predators and pray have their up and downs in their populations with the predators curve always behind the preys curve. The Ladies will catch up again.

Thanks guys thats interesting. I have a couple of theories.

1. In the UK we had a cold snap just after they may have hatched

2 . A few years ago we were colonised by the Asian Harlequin ladybird which amongst other things eats our native ladybirds, but that doesnt explain why there are no Harlequins either!

my job involves trimming hedges and when you trim the top of a dense conifer hedge the vibration usually brings dozens up through the hedge (this is where i get a steady supply) Last week I trimmed an established conifer hedge and had my pot ready to catch a few and I did not see a single one.

TOAW said:
Found three larve last week and placed them on a tomoto plant that had been plagued by aphids.

TOAW, would you say there are as many as there normally are?

rhm3769 said:
Strange, now that I think about it, I havent seen any since I started my peppers here, either....

Peptacular said:
Likewise I've seen no ladybugs this year. Costing me a bit in neem oil.

Have you guys had cold snaps?

I had an infestion of aphids I tried to control with neem oil when I first put plants in the ground, then I stopped using the neem and the ladybugs flocked in and I had massive numbers of them. After they committed aphid genocide I almost never see an aphid and I only see the ladybugs once in a while.

"TOAW, would you say there are as many as there normally are?"                                                                       I'd have to say yes I have, but I live close to a small state park that has a mix of old growth, secondary growth and brush areas and seems to provide a constant supply of intersesting critters (both inverts and verts). I don't recall any severe cold snaps, a bit wetter than typical and little cool at times early on. Now more or less typical Indy weather.

Just saw my first LB of the season (a harlequin), there is still hope Adam  :) . Surprised they haven't been blown away by the sharp gale force winds we're having. What a beautiful British summer it looks like its shaping up to be  :shocked:

Wife bought several batches------many thousands all in all--- They do their business, then leave when all their food is eaten.

Still, better to buy a bunch when you need them than spray death upon the invaders.

Except indoors.
Bonide for those.

PepperDaddler said:
I only see one every once in a while, and I mean almost never.

Also to add a question, where do you find the larvae TOAW?

I'll have a stab at answering that if I may.

When we have had a plentiful supply they are usually found wherever the adults are BUT they seem more secretive and due to their colouring are a lot harder to see AND they are more mobile so tend to get out of the way.

I know the adults are not generally sought out by predaters because they dont taste too good so they dont bother hiding, it may be that the larvae ARE a target so tend to be less obvious. Look under the leaves of any plants where the adults are found is my best advice.

Back