• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Where's the Growing 101?

I've decided to grow some. But I've never planted a single thing.

I just want to grow some yellow peppers for now, because it's the one we all like.

I figure I can use seeds from the fresh peppers in buying.

I've read lots from this part of the forum, but 99.9% of it is over my head.

Will I get edible pods if I put a bunch of fresh seeds in proofing soil and water it regularly?

Do all the other tips and tricks HAVE to be done?

I dont think you have to follow everything to a T. It took me about three times to keep seedlings alive past their first set of leaves. Im no expert but im sure one will be of more help soon. Welcome, good luck, dont give up and have fun!

You can't be guaranteed that the seeds from a store bought pepper will grow the same exact pepper that you buy. There are other factors at play, like cross pollination from bees. If you buy the seeds, usually, you can grow them and get what you're looking for. 
I, usually, wet a paper towel with warm water from the sink, open it up and put my seeds inside, then fold it up and put it in a ziplock baggy, then put it in a cupboard above my clothes dryer. I use warm water because it acts like a sauna and holds the moister longer. I have had good success from this method 95% of the time. I don't soak the napkin. I use my hand and sprinkle the water with my fingers until I get the whole napkin damp.
Good luck!

Back