• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Where's the heat?

Hey guys,
Quick question for all you more experienced chiliheads... I have some cayennes going along with my other exotic species. I like the mild heat from these for cooking and pickling. However, so far none of my peppers have any heat! I've harvested some green and once they've turned red, but they just taste like freaking bell peppers. What's going on here? I know that peppers get hotter with more stress, less water, etc, but these guys are really confusing me especially since many of my other hot peppers do have plenty of heat (ie Jamaican hots, Thai hots, Jalepenos, bhuts, etc). Some of these plants came from Lowe's, but others were purchased as seed from online vendors. Any help would be appreciated.

We need pics. Cayennes have a wide range of heat levels, it sounds like you have a very mild variety or sometimes early pods are milder

Had a friend with same "problem" let them ripe to fully red and wait a few more days and some heat might come :)

If you want them mean like a junkyard dog, feed em some gunpowder. ;)

J/K :lol:
You know SS...the gun powder being nitrocellulose in single based powders or the nitrocellulose / nitroglycerin double based powders are freaking awesome fertilizers but...a terrible waste of something that goes BOOM! :crazy: I know you were just kidding but if one were to have some older powder around and not sure what to do with it...well then there ya go! ;)

arringdd, I think it's possible when you were "looking" for "mild" cayenne peppers you got exactly that...gotta remember that most people think jalapenos are REALLY hot. :eh:

Back