• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Which are the best tasting Habenaros

I have a few different varieties on hand and was wondering which had the best taste and which one was the hottest.

I have orange and chocolate. I eat the orange ones all the time.Ive never tasted the chocolate. I tired to grow the white ones last year and the year before with no luck. whites seeds came from hirts garden both times.

*Personally* I'm not really a fan of Habs at all (although I have had some good Hab-based sauces before... guess it all depends on the other ingredients). If I had to choose a favourite though, I'd probably say Choc (for both taste and heat).

I'm with gasificada on this one, Habs aren't my favorite. But My favorite dried pepper powder is Red Savina. Hands down. Hot and tasty. I put it on almost everything. Also, one of my most favorite sauces is a limited edition Dave's Insanity Red Savina. (not the puky extracty stuff)

came from hirts garden both times.

personally, I am not surprized...when I first started trying to find some other varieties, I bought from them and was sorely disappointed in the germination rate and if they grew true, I was even more surprized...

now that you know, I would highly recommend buying/trading with the members from/with this forum...

The orange habaneros are the landrace variety and some consider them to be the only real habaneros
Most often what is listed as habaneros are actually hab-nots. Its just easier for people to say "hab" then to explain the whole C. chinenses misnomer or to figure out what chinenses they really have. The same thing goes for Scotch bonnets in the Caribbean and now with nagas, scorpions and 7 pods :(

In Mexico if a manufacturer wants to use the word “habanero” for his product, it must contain habaneros made in these three states( Yucatán, Campeche and Quintana Roo) and nowhere else.
http://www.fiery-foods.com/component/content/article/57/2959

+1 to AJ about finding another seed source. Beth at peppermania.com (I've grown her white habs and YIKES they are hot. Made an awesome puree.) And on THP, midwestchilehead, ajijoe, pepperfever, sorry, I can't think of more right now, I'm sure there's more....

I also love Red Savina powder. Just working with some today from pods grown by AJ last year, and it smells soooooo guuuud.

I'm no hab expert, but the best tasting powder I made this year was red scotch bonnet. Is that a red habanero? I
guess so. I have never actually grown seeds labeled red habanero.

Back