• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Which seeds should I buy in your opinion

Which seeds would you suggest I buy the Chocolate habanero or Jamaican hot chocolate habanero seeds I'm not to sure which one cause I thought there was only a regular chocolate hab then I saw the Jamaican chocolate hab what's the difference please :)

Which seeds would you suggest I buy the Chocolate habanero or Jamaican hot chocolate habanero seeds I'm not to sure which one cause I thought there was only a regular chocolate hab then I saw the Jamaican chocolate hab what's the difference please :)

I would say grow both and then choose what ya like best for next year. Personally I didnt care for my Jamaican hot chocolates, planted them in April, didnt get any ripe pods till November, and then I didnt care for the flavor of the pods I did get. But we had a horrible year for peppers here in Oregon. Didn't get over 70 degree's till a few days in mid September. Plants dropped flowers all summer till then.

I like black congo in flavor and heat. I know it is neither of the two you listed but why not throw a third one in the bunch. :lol:

Jamaican hot chocolate have a wonderful flavor and tend to be hotter than the regular choco hab, they have a mild smokey flavor
there one of my favorites in the chinense group

thanks your friend joe

Jamaican hot chocolate have a wonderful flavor and tend to be hotter than the regular choco hab, they have a mild smokey flavor
there one of my favorites in the chinense group

thanks your friend joe
Joe I agree with ya,

The JHC have that wonderful smokey scent when broken apart, and a unique flavor compared to the other brown/black habs.

Another one which gets overlooked is the "long brown hab", it's dark brown on the outside with a red tinge on the innards and placenta.

I really like the raw taste to that one, and its excellant smoked or dehydrated... I'm growing a few extra plants
next season...

Greg

Joe I agree with ya,

The JHC have that wonderful smokey scent when broken apart, and a unique flavor compared to the other brown/black habs.

Another one which gets overlooked is the "long brown hab", it's dark brown on the outside with a red tinge on the innards and placenta.

I really like the raw taste to that one, and its excellant smoked or dehydrated... I'm growing a few extra plants
next season...

Greg
thanks they are a wonderful pepper aren't they??

yes the long chocolate is a nice pepper too i never had one yet i have seeds for it but never got around to trying one

most likely this coming season

thanks your friend Joe

The black congo and chocolate habanero I grew last year appeared to be different peppers. The congo were smaller, darker, and more oval and uniform in shape, while the chocolate habaneros were lighter in color, larger, and had a more random and more habanero-looking shape. The taste seemed a bit different too, with the congos having a more mild flavor while the chocolate habaneros were more fruity. I prefer the flavor of the congos. I haven't grown the Jamaican hot chocolate yet.

There are several different types of chocolate hab but most often chocolate habs are actually congos. I grew 8 chocolate/brown/black "hab" varieties one year and 7 out of 8 were nearly identical and were much more congo like than hab like. Even the Chocolate scotch bonnet was very much the same :(

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=chocolate+habanero&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1&submit=Search

There are several different types of chocolate hab but most often chocolate habs are actually congos. I grew 8 chocolate/brown/black "hab" varieties one year and 7 out of 8 were nearly identical and were much more congo like than hab like. Even the Chocolate scotch bonnet was very much the same :(

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=chocolate+habanero&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1&submit=Search
Perhaps this would point towards the Congo being the chocolate gene doner to the other chocolate colored hab varieties?

Back