• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

whit e7 pot misconception

Okay, i want to start this seed business and im growing hot peppers right now. I got "White 7 Pot" seeds from someone on here. But im not sure if its a hybrid or not? Because i want to save seed from them and eventually sell the seeds. Or is it a a pure strain that was a hybrid at once if its been crossed for years?

Thanks!

5 years ago, I didn't know there was anything but red 7s....now there are many many different colors and varieties out there, most of them unstable crosses.....just sayin'...

If you are really serious about starting your seed business, IMO you shouldn't rely on what someone says or what seeds someone gives you...you should grow your own seedstock so YOU know where YOUR seeds come from and can answer questions about them without having to go back to your original seed source and ask them...

take your time developing your own stock is about the best advice I can give you....there is no hurry in starting your business since I believe you said you were about 17 or so...with that said, while you are developing your own seedstock, you can do your research on what all is entailed with a small business...what type you want...LLC/sole proprietorship/Corp etc...decide whether or not you want to trademark your business name ($325 a pop just for the application), get setup with your state licenses...read the laws on selling seeds to foreign countries...man there is a lot for you to learn...take your time and be patient...patience is a virtue, especially when it comes to growing peppers...read the horror stories on here and ask yourself...are you ready for DRAMA...whether or not you want to be, you better be ready because one unhappy person can make your life miserable if they want to...

all the plants should be grown in isolation for selling seeds....ideally, natural isolation means at least 1 mile between different strains of plants

I'm not trying to be mean or nasty or a stick in the mud...but you need to consider all the in's and out's of the business before starting one...I would recommend choosing a seed supplier you respect and trust, befriending them and learning from them...

Thanks! for the good reply. I have most of it settled out. IM going to grow the peppers in isolation by creating small hoop houses for each variety. And when i grow the plant and it is what "they say it is" Than i will save seeds from it. I know where your coming from. ANd also im 15! ;) And i know it takes awhile i just though i could get a head start when im younger instead of waiting. The owner of Baker Creek Heirloom seeds. (one of the most successful independent seed businesses every created) Started at my age. Not saying im going to be the best but i have a better chance of going big or getting know than waiting until i get out of college!

Thanks again!

Thanks! for the good reply. I have most of it settled out. IM going to grow the peppers in isolation by creating small hoop houses for each variety. And when i grow the plant and it is what "they say it is" Than i will save seeds from it. I know where your coming from. ANd also im 15! ;) And i know it takes awhile i just though i could get a head start when im younger instead of waiting. The owner of Baker Creek Heirloom seeds. (one of the most successful independent seed businesses every created) Started at my age. Not saying im going to be the best but i have a better chance of going big or getting know than waiting until i get out of college!

Thanks again!

Remember also that seeds do not keep -- if you are planning on selling them then you'll need fresh seed every year - you can't save seeds for years to sell since the germination rates drop as seeds age so if selling seeds you need to have fresh stock not stock that has been saved for years (Sure some seeds that are years old will still germinate but you do not want to be selling anything but the current years stock in most cases !)

Remember also that seeds do not keep -- if you are planning on selling them then you'll need fresh seed every year - you can't save seeds for years to sell since the germination rates drop as seeds age so if selling seeds you need to have fresh stock not stock that has been saved for years (Sure some seeds that are years old will still germinate but you do not want to be selling anything but the current years stock in most cases !)

Yep i know! I'm going to replace it year after year but have a section online saying these are older seed ill discount them. But you wont have the best of germination and mark them half as much as free seeds

Have you grown peppers before. Counting on saving seeds from future plants is getting ahead of yourself if you are not even sure you can raise them....

You've grown supers before to save and sell seeds after isolating them? That's news.

AJ gave you a wealth of information in his post above. Let me reiterate an important point:

"I'm not trying to be mean or nasty or a stick in the mud...but you need to consider all the in's and out's of the business before starting one...I would recommend choosing a seed supplier you respect and trust, befriending them and learning from them... "

And as he posted, you should be growing out peppers for a few seasons to be able to handle customer inquiries/problems. It's called gaining experience. And as a businessman, you wil be held accountable to hostile customers that can ruin your reputation in a heartbeat.

Right now you are full of theory. You have dollar signs in your eyes. Listen to what people here are telling you. Grow stuff, gain experience and network with those here willing to help you, and see how it goes. Respect the methods shown on glogs, the effort put into them, and appreciate the glog poster's willingness to share what went right, and what went wrong. That is a priceless source of information for you.

AJ took the time to post here on your thread and you should be more grateful for his kindness. You need to follow his glog, pick his brain (respectfully), and follow his advice instead of throwing your ideas back at him and his post the way you did.

In two words, Slow Down.

Re-read your original post until you understand what you posted. Then you might be able to figure out why everyone in this thread has relpied the way they have.

You said you wanted to start a seed business. You said you wanted to save the seeds. You got proper replies. You have the internet. Maybe before you posted the question, you should have researched the history of the pepper you were asking about before you posted here. You know, just good business research and all.

What if a customer asks you that question? Are you going to post here for the answer? What happens should you have a crop failure? Who will you run to? And nothing here has gotten way out of hand. You asked a question and you do not like the kind answers given to you. You have been given a wealth of knowledge, yet you look for the path of least resistance, and demand the quickest answer. Do yourself a favor and follow AJ's glog, along with many others here...

You may also want to study the peppers you wish to be in the business ofgrowing and selling, get some experience with their growth habits, needs, irregularities, etc before you start counting your money.

With all the "NEW" strains out there , especially with super hots.
Plan on growing anything out for 8 seasons to see if it's stable.
EVEN stuff from seed companies.
A lot if not most superhot vendors have only grown out there seeds for a couple generations max. before declaring them as stable...wether thay are or not.
I highly doubt White 7 pot is really stable-along with almost any other new color of a lot of the stuff going around.
Most people are complaining the White---anything--- are really light yellow anyway.

But im not sure if its a hybrid or not? Or is it a pure strain that was a hybrid at once if its been crossed for years?

Thanks!

JMO, but these seem like fairly straight forward questions to me. Wish I had an answer for you GreenHouse. Whatever you decide to do, or how you choose to go about it, Good luck to ya!

PS - Can't discount AJ's speil - Good info to roll over in addition to the info your seeking on the White 7

Go for it. Ya have years to figure it out.
Start small, use customer feedback to improve.
You are the only one who can determine if your chosen varieties are true breeding by trial and error.
Seeds can be a good business, but a unique product only available from one source is also very lucrative.

Back