• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Whitefly help fellow south floridians

First time grower I had 60 plants all maybe 3 months old whiteflies have taken over and are killing all my plants. I've tried neem oil ,dish washing soap, whatever it doesn't work .. Anyone else having these issues or have a solution I'd appreciate thanx

There really isn't a good solution for edibles and whitefly. I'm blasting the undersides with water to wash them off when possible, and then spraying with neem oil, concentrating on the undersides of the leaves and also when needed, dusting with Sevin under the leaves (when leaves are slightly moist the dust will stick).

Generally speaking if the plants aren't too stressed from other things, the whiteflies wont kill them. If they are getting water stressed during the day try using an earthtainer. Afternoon sun from 12-3 is pretty harsh so relocating them to somewhere with no early afternoon sun may help too.

I have a buddy who has tons of Jalapenos and Datils on his plants and they are constantly covered with whiteflies. He just ignores them and the plants keep on growing despite the bugs.

Another thought, make sure you are spacing your plants out so you get adequate airflow. You can also remove the lower 1/3 of leaves and try using a silver metallic mulch (fabric) that is supposed to help repel the whiteflies.

Oh and Welcome!!! :welcome:

these things suck from the bottom of the leaves right? thats always a PITA to deal with.
if you are not aversed to chemicals, you could just bomb them with a systemic like imidicloprid. i personaly dont care, and have eaten plenty of toms that were subject to a blast of imidicloprid. just use as directed. i think they want you to wait 3 weeks before harvesting.

you could also just spray frequently. im guessing the flys themselves are the ones that reproduce. id bet you could kill the flys themselves with some sort of insecticide and prevent them from reproduceing. u just need to find out how long it takes from them to become flys to becomeing sexually active... and spray at a shorter interval.

you could also try something like abamectin. i use it to kill mites, and apparently its classed as a "trans laminar" pesticide meaning it will diffuse throughout the leaf and not simply lay on the surface. epro is complicated to apply tho, you need to ph some distilled water to 5 then add some surfactant so it dosent bead up and instead clings to the leaf in more of a filmlike mannor.

Bonide spray. I went through all the other products and nothing worked. Bonide got rid of all of the bugs.

Back