• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Who can figure out amounts of soil for several pots?

I'm going to do 40% humus, 40% coco coir and 20% perlite.

Can someone figure out the amounts for me that is needed for 15 (5) gallon pots?

and that above is a good mix right? Outdoor pepper pots.

just guess & buy enough humus to fill 6 (5 gallon buckets) that goes for coco coir too (enough to fill 6 buckets)
then buy enough perlite to fill 3 buckets

if you guessed wrong, go back to the store & buy some more (or order some more) :lol:

it also sounds like it'll be spendy.

How about 40 gallons humus, 40 gallons coco and 20 gallons perlite? Of course you would have 25 gallons left over, buy 5 more pots!!

I've never seen anyone use humus + coco coir before. Usually coir is used alone or mixed with perlite. I wonder how the humus would affect the choice of fertilizer? Coco has ferts designed specifically for it, I wonder if the addition of humus would have any effect on the unique properties of the coir?

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, i'm just asking questions. I'll be interested in seeing how it works for you.

Uh, what's wrong with dirt? Plants have grown in it for centuries.

No offense, guy, but you sound like you read this or that and want to make sure you do it. Just my opinion, but I would try a couple pots of this, a couple of that and see what works best.

But good luck and may you have thousands of pods per plant.

Mike

well thats why I make said threads haha I need help on what to use for my 5gal outdoor pots. I seen that they have humus there and perlite in bulk.a nd I can get coco from the hydro. Coco has no nutes in it, the humus will take place of it and I will basically not have to fert them ( I could If I wanted to ) but they get their nutes from the humus.

Yeah, i didn't say I see anything wrong with it lol, I just hadn't seen it done. Coco would make a great peat replacement in potting soil anyways, and all potting soil is made of is peat, humus, perlite and maybe some sand. Good luck man.

I thought humus was a fairly short term thing, I dont think it will put out nutrients for long. Great to add to the soil, but I would rely on it by itself.

So i guess go with what I have? 40 humus, 40 coco coir, and 20 perlite...

that would be alright in an outdoor potting mix correcT?

McGoo, Omri said that it lasts pretty long. I would prolly fert anyways.

the components of your "soil" you are going to use usually comes in cubic feet....

volume of round cylindrical container = pi*r^2*height

measure the depth of the pot, then measure the diameter then divide diameter by 2 to get radius - if you measure in inches when you finish divide by 1728 (number of cubic inches in a cubic foot)

3.1417 * radius squared * height = volume of one pot...

multiply times how ever many pots you have...

AlabamaJack said:
the components of your "soil" you are going to use usually comes in cubic feet....

volume of round cylindrical container = pi*r^2*height

measure the depth of the pot, then measure the diameter then divide diameter by 2 to get radius - if you measure in inches when you finish divide by 1728 (number of cubic inches in a cubic foot)

3.1417 * radius squared * height = volume of one pot...

multiply times how ever many pots you have...

Or use a handy web page such as this.

5 gallons = .67 cubic feet

Mike

so if 5 gallons is .65 cubics ( i say .65 for ease of math ) and I would need to find 80 percent ( humus and coco coir ) and 20 percent ( perlite ) of that .65 cubics right?

I hate math..

.67 cubic feet per container times 15 pots equals 10 (rounded) cubic feet. Four cubic feet each of humus and coco plus two cubic feet of perlite.

Or, 15 large buckets full of dirt!

Mike

NICE

so i need 4 cubics of coco and 4 cubics of humus and then 2 cubics of perlite...

correct?

( hmm, just repeated what you typed but it may help me to understand it more :D )

thanks! really.

wordwiz said:
Or use a handy web page such as this.

5 gallons = .67 cubic feet

Mike

cheat if you want... :lol:

But...I don't think my 5 gallon nursery containers actually hold 5 gallon volume....more like 4...

I couldn't sleep because what I said will give an approximate volume of the container so to be more accurate in determining the volume of the container....

containervolumecalculation.jpg

now I can go to sleep...

Back